Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Turn signal screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal screwed up

I replaced all the bent up front end parts on my 850 yesterday and now the right turn signal is acting wierd. With the headlights off, it works fine, but with the parking lights or headlights on both the front and rear lamp are lit solid, even without the turn signal being on, and turning the signal on does nothing, they just stay lit solid. I don't see how I could have screwed up the wiring, I mean it's just a harness for the headlight, and one for the turn signal for each side. And the wirirng wasn't messed up from the wreck either because the lamps worked fine before I took the body pieces off. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turn signal screwed up

Check the bulb, it may not be in the socket correctly causing a short between the turn signal and the parking light.

...Lee

Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the wiring sounds like a wire is shorting out.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmana

I replaced all the bent up front end parts on my 850 yesterday and now the right turn signal is acting wierd. With the headlights off, it works fine, but with the parking lights or headlights on both the front and rear lamp are lit solid, even without the turn signal being on, and turning the signal on does nothing, they just stay lit solid. I don't see how I could have screwed up the wiring, I mean it's just a harness for the headlight, and one for the turn signal for each side. And the wirirng wasn't messed up from the wreck either because the lamps worked fine before I took the body pieces off. Anyone have any ideas?
Faults on a 12 volt DC system that use the chassis and motor as a return path to complete many of the circuits can be a real PITA. If the wiring is not 100% (e.g. poor/loose connections, wires not making good contact in a terminal, poor compression/soldered joints, conductor broken within plastic insulation, incorrect wiring etc.), direct current (DC) will try and find a way to complete its own circuit, and that sometimes means finding a continuous electrical path (i.e. backfeeding) through other items such as globes, etc. resulting in very confusing symptoms to try and troubleshoot.

You've just got to be patient, establish where each wire is supposed to go/terminate and ensure that's where the wire does go/terminate, check the conductor for continuity, and also thoroughly check each connection is solid. It is amazing how many connections that look quite O.K. are, in actual fact, making a poor connection or none at all.

Give me good old AC anyday.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Agreed....Check the bulb, then the wiring for shorts. Also check the grounds. I'll bet its something easy.