Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Unofficial 855 Project Threadz

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This does not help one bit but thought I would share. I used to have a BMW 535is many moons ago. As some of you remember I worked for 17years as a car stereo installer/Manager. Once I brought some of my tools home in a tote in my trunk. Almost everything I have is Snap-on. I left the car unlocked one night...one night. They stole my stereo then when they traces the other cables to the trunk to get the amps they found my tools...used my own tools to take my stereo stuff then took all my Snap-on tools and left me with a Craftsman screwdriver. I still have that screwdriver to this day. Reminds me but I get angry every time I see it.
Insurance covered the tools.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobec
Front 2 of (3) and rear 2 of (4) Cam seals.
spark plug o-rings 5 of (5)
the sealing compound and roller( I bought the rollers at Home depot, the small ones with red(all chemical) rollers)

That's about all I can think of.

Be careful pulling it off. When I did mine the cam seals got stuck in the upper head on one end and the lower head on the other end. when I lifted the cams twisted and I broke the thrust collar in the top head.

Don't forget you need the cam locking tool to re-assemble. If you want info on how I made mine just let me know.
What do you mean 2 of 3 and 2 of 4 for the cam seals? OK, what if I just remove the valve cover, if I don't go any deeper than that, and I just leave the cams alone, do I still need the cam locking tool to take off and put on the cover?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
This does not help one bit but thought I would share. I used to have a BMW 535is many moons ago. As some of you remember I worked for 17years as a car stereo installer/Manager. Once I brought some of my tools home in a tote in my trunk. Almost everything I have is Snap-on. I left the car unlocked one night...one night. They stole my stereo then when they traces the other cables to the trunk to get the amps they found my tools...used my own tools to take my stereo stuff then took all my Snap-on tools and left me with a Craftsman screwdriver. I still have that screwdriver to this day. Reminds me but I get angry every time I see it.
Insurance covered the tools.
Damn, that sucks. I think I would be even more pissed seeing that they used my tools to steal my stuff. My parents insurance will cover it. I'm mad, but, I mean, there's really nothing I can do at this point.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
What do you mean 2 of 3 and 2 of 4 for the cam seals? OK, what if I just remove the valve cover, if I don't go any deeper than that, and I just leave the cams alone, do I still need the cam locking tool to take off and put on the cover?
I mean in the diagram you posted 2 of number 3 (or the front cam seal etc)

If you are talking about the part the paint peeled off of that it the upper section of the head. It holds the cams in the lower head and provides the upper bearing races for the cams. When you remove it the valve springs will push the cams up and they will just be laying in the lower head and all the valves will close.

When you put it together follow Haynes. The cams have to be secured in the top section after the goop is applied because 4 lobes are just about straight down. If I rememebr right #3 on exhaust and #4 on the intake. I didn't use the sparkplug hole draw down tool because the bolts were long enough and worked fine.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
I mean in the diagram you posted 2 of number 3 (or the front cam seal etc)

If you are talking about the part the paint peeled off of that it the upper section of the head. It holds the cams in the lower head and provides the upper bearing races for the cams. When you remove it the valve springs will push the cams up and they will just be laying in the lower head and all the valves will close.

When you put it together follow Haynes. The cams have to be secured in the top section after the goop is applied because 4 lobes are just about straight down. If I rememebr right #3 on exhaust and #4 on the intake. I didn't use the sparkplug hole draw down tool because the bolts were long enough and worked fine.
Oh, I get you meant with the numbers. I am talking about the painted section. So when I remove the upper head the cams aren't secure, they will be loose? And the cam locking tool holds the cams into the upper head? Making sure I get this right.

And if I did this, do I need to follow Hayne's guide to putting in the cams or wouldn't I just use my own timing marks, since that's the time that the rest of the motor is in?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Oh, I get you meant with the numbers. I am talking about the painted section. So when I remove the upper head the cams aren't secure, they will be loose? And the cam locking tool holds the cams into the upper head? Making sure I get this right.

And if I did this, do I need to follow Hayne's guide to putting in the cams or wouldn't I just use my own timing marks, since that's the time that the rest of the motor is in?
I'd follow haynes, I thought I might try to deviate so I wouldn't need the cam holding tool but once you take a close look then . I made my cam tool in about 30 minutes out of flat aluminum stock bought at home depot. You have to bend right angles to fit in the cam slots but if you have even a small vise no problem. check out the pics on my thread.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM

But if I follow Hayne's, that's going to be different than my pistons and what not?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM

But if I follow Hayne's, that's going to be different than my pistons and what not?
Did you align the timing marks before you removed the belt? If so the cams and pistons are in the right alignment for the Hayne way.

If not, I'd remove the top of Darth Vader, mark (E and I) and remove the cams and remove the spark plugs so your not building pressure, the valves should all be closed and out of the way of the pistons turn the crank slow by hand and stop if you meet any interference until the timing mark lines up with the oil pump mark. Put the plugs back in. Now follow the haynes method.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, I already have the timing belt off, so does the crank have timing marks that I can line up, I can just do everything separately?

Have you ever heard if the upper heads are mated to the lower head? I was told that on VS and interchanging lower and upper heads could lead to leaking.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Well, I already have the timing belt off, so does the crank have timing marks that I can line up, I can just do everything separately?

Have you ever heard if the upper heads are mated to the lower head? I was told that on VS and interchanging lower and upper heads could lead to leaking.
The crank sprocket has a very narrow cut on the engine side. The mark (line protuding about 1 inch long)on the oil pump is at about 10:30- 11:00.

Don't move anything until you take the top off or you could bend the valves.

I don't really know anything about the compatability. I would lay them side by side and compare. But maybe someone else can give you better advise.

Oh yeah, look in my thread at the picture of the cam sprockets and how I made a reference mark on the cam and sprockets. This made reassembly much easier, just becareful not to get to close to the interface edge, I thought I had but luckly I hadn't.

Last edited by Bobec; 01-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Anyone have Hayne's and can tell me the P/N of T-5 cams and NA cams?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM

Started destruction of the wagon today. Thanks to 850tony for helping me out.

Name:  DSCF1852.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  DSCF1853.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  DSCF1855.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  DSCF1859.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  DSCF1860.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  131.8 KB

And of course my trunk full of goodies from it.

Name:  DSCF1861.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  88.2 KB

Proceeds of this is going towards NA cams and powder coating my valve cover. Still quite a bit for sale, don't be shy to ask for parts.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 PM

You know what I'm asking for .

Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM

There she be. Once I sort out my trunk full of stuff from this parts run and get my bumper out of there, I'm going to do a last call and then she be going to the jy. Poor baby.

Name:  DSCF1874.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  117.8 KB

Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 PM

Anyone have Hayne's and can tell me the P/N of T-5 cams and NA cams?
I have Haynes but I've never seen part numbers anywhere.

what about this guy for NA cams https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37241

?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Update:

19T and N/A cam shafts

That is all.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thats all you have to say about that Forest? Whats it mean? Did you score some new toys?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 AM

I don't understand! Are you getting them? or have you realized that's what you want?!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM

I bought a 19T with roughly 100k miles on it from a babied soccer mom VR, and the guy is also sending me a set of NA cams. I'm going to use an EBC to retard the onset of boost until higher RPMs, and then advance the NA cam timing to give me a stronger low end power band. Basically what I'm saying is that I love my car.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

You suck

Quick Reply: Unofficial 855 Project Threadz