Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Upper engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper engine mount

Ive noticed a bit of nocking when accelerating and believe that it could be the upper engine mount, which is split. In any case it needs replacing.

Only thing is i noticed it is difficult to replace as you need a pressing tool (i dont have one) to get the rubber into the arm. I was thinking of using polybushes as they look easier to put in, however i have heard they transmit excessive engine vibration. but powerflex poly bushes claim to be better than the rest.

Has anyone had any experience, could they please give me any advice.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Upper engine mount

The bushing on our XC-70 pretty much just fell out. The one on the 850 was shot, but was tight in the mount housing. Not having a way to press it out, I took the center bolt out, and then took a hacksaw blade, (wrapped the one end in a cloth so as to not cut my hand) and then sawed a pie shaped wedge out of the rubber bushing. Took me about 15-20 minutes, but with the wedge cut out, the old bushing was easy to take out.

I used the poly bushing from FCP groton. I did notice a little more vibration on the XC-70, but the 850 was fine.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U can use a lond bolt with 2 big washers to press it in, just make sure that the arrow points up ans slightly back. Search -I believe one of the forums had good instructions.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Thanks for your replies!!

I was reading up on the lower mount that apparently is positioned on the right (actually the front of the engine as its sideways mounted) Is this the same on all cars as im in a right hand drive, I only ask as knocking is only coming from the left (the side with the upper mount on the arm), which probably means only the upper mount has gone, but i just wanted to check and its raining now so i don't want to spend hours looking till later.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:39 PM

When I was looking at install, I realized that a lot of people bought poly but couldn't stand the vibration so they just took the hit of replacing that mount every X amount of miles...

I have the poly and I haven't noticed any increased vibration. Although this could be attributed to the fact that mine was shot for most of the time I drove the car.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 AM

Well I replaced it, WOW what a difference.The original wasshot, pretty much completely split. The handlingandthe performance has been trasformed. Before it felt like the car was struggling around corners, and the engine would bash around during acceleration and breaking.

Also I had put a KandN filter in recently, but only now can you hear the difference, the exhaust manifold that connects to a mesh must have been seriously effected before due to the engine pressing back, now the flow sounds clear and powerful.

Few words of warning though to those who try the powerflex poly bush. It mentions on the front packaging not requiring pressing tools. This is not necessary true as hard as we tried we could not the one side of the bush in, so we trimmed a small amount of the side to be inserted which enabled us (with a screwdriver) to press it in. Also the arm can be a bit fiddly to fit back on as the powflex bush is wider than the OEM one.

I recomend doing this on all volvo 850's over 10 years old especially if you have a kandN filter.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done, thanks for sharing a great info with us.

Keep up.

JPN

Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N = a lot of sand and dirt particles in your engine IMO. And what about the oil affecting the MAF sensor? Am I correct or am I dreaming?

Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 AM

Is there a better alternative (apart from the stock filter?)

Not so sure if the oil will be enough to effect the maf, but i guess you can just clean it of now and again.

SAND? DIRT? I would only think that would be an issue if you don't re oil the filter.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM

There are several different companies (of course, after working a double shift, my mind is really not working at its fullest, not that it ever does, hahahahha) anyway, there are alternatives, you just need to remove the stock airbox. the import drivers have been doing stuff like that for years. of course, if you hate the typical boy racer look of the cone filters, you are stuck with K&N. and the oil is not a factor unless you really soaked the filter. just dampen it, not dripping wet. hope it helps. Harry