Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 transmission issues... HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 2 kinds:
Autozone DEX VI (says compatible requiring DEX II & III
Valvoline DEX / MERC (says for cars requiring DEX III / MERCON
Should be ok no?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mixed it? you are not supposed to mix it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM

l would recommend just valvoline or mobil 1. l hope your answer would be NO you did not mix the fluids.lol

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM

well if I am sold 2 fluids of different brands that are the same standard, why would I not mix it? Can't you mix to engine oils such as 10W30 of two different brands? What is the difference? Not saying you are wrong, just wondering why you can't mix those 2 tranny fluids if they are of the same standard?
Also, do you really think it would mess up my tranny so badly?
So, at this point, what would you do???

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM

l personally would not mix two branded ATF just to be on the safe side. l dont think it will mess up the tranny badly but l wouldnt mix it.

Last edited by slimflex2; 02-18-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM

ok agreed, my bad, should I drain all of the fluid? This is driving me NUTS

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 262740850
ok agreed, my bad, should I drain all of the fluid? This is driving me NUTS
sorry this is driving you nuts.l feel you. do not drain the fluid yet, wait on KISS and lets see what he has to say about mixing tranny oil. l will message robert(rspi) about this and see his opinion on this. he might be of help.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
sorry this is driving you nuts.l feel you. do not drain the fluid yet, wait on KISS and lets see what he has to say about mixing tranny oil. l will message robert(rspi) about this and see his opinion on this. he might be of help.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate people like you, I fixed so many things thanks to people like you and this forum. For once I thought I was doing the right thing to do some preventive maintenance and I messed up something. I fixed so many issues the last 6 months... but this one is a big bummer!
now I have 3 sick volvos :-(
Yes also have a 740 and 262.... ;-) but not running for now

Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=262740850;343739]I can't tell you how much I appreciate people like you, I fixed so many things thanks to people like you and this forum. For once I thought I was doing the right thing to do some preventive maintenance and I messed up something. I fixed so many issues the last 6 months... but this one is a big bummer!
now I have 3 sick volvos :-(
Yes also have a 740 and 262.... ;-) but not running for now[/QUOTE

No problem brother. l messaged Robert and sent him your thread link. he should be able to get back on your thread tomorrow and lets see what he has to say. yea l understand you tried to do your own preventive maintenance and it messed up, but thats how you learn.went through the same thing(not the same problem you having) a different problem and this site was such a help to me. l am hoping you will get help ASAP and get your baby back on the road. you can make another thread about your other volvos when this thread is solved and closed.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM

sadly you are not close to me.you are located in Texas right?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM

boxpin, any ideas?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM

I am in TX Yes, you?
I plan on getting the 262 Bertone back on the road, will tell you her story and you won't believe it. Hardly nobody knows in the US how to fix that V6 engine PRV (Peugeot Renault Volvo) but I found a guy who did it, not even the Volvo dealer had it right.... believe it or not.
As for the 740, I will give away and sell parts, will probably crush it as it's not worth it to fix it. Beside, it's quite a Brick! ;-)
Thanks again, hopefuly my baby 850 will fly again soon...

Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 PM

located in new york.l dont think your tranny is shot. wait on more opinions before you take the next step.Good luck brother.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks BRO, agreed, will follow what you said.... thanks again, you rock!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not the transmission fluid expert but yes you can mix them. After all you did add some Lucas and that is mixing also

I'm running Ford type F in mine and it's working fine. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else though it's an old Chevy trick for replacing Dexron and I haven't seen anyone else doing it to the Volvo (Aisin-Warner) trans.

To a degree, oil is oil. Same with engine oil. If you mix brands, no problem. If you mix synthetic with regular you are just diluting the expensive synthetic with the regular.

If you mix weights, you end up with a hybrid somewhere between the thickest and the thinnest your mixing together. Like 5W30 and 10W30 you would end up with 7.5W30 if you used it 50/50.
Transmission oil in very general terms is a 10 weight oil.

In your case as long as you were using containers that specify they are backwards compatible (and they were) with dexron II or III, the mixing of fluids shouldn't be your problem.

Having said all that, I still find it bothersome that this all started exactly after you put in fresh fluid. I used to work in fleet maintenance and there is a bit of history on automatics having been "Power Flushed" and then starting to slip badly with high miles if they hadn't been serviced regularly previously.
There is always a chance the grit in the fluid was all that was holding it together but that's usually when you flush out all 9 quarts at once. You only pulled out 2.5 to 3.5 if you sucked it up through the stick. I'm pretty sure that's all that is sitting in the pan of our AW50-42 LEs

Without the transmission tripping a code I just don't know where else to go with this one.

You could always try this site and see if anyone has a red flag from the two fluids you mixed. These guys talk about oil the way I talk about a great steak or a fine woman, IN DETAIL !!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 262740850
Yes I do, after driving a while, not pretending to renew it, just cleaning it somewhat this way.... why?
Reason I asked where you're putting it in at is there have been people who drain a transmission and overfill an engine

My other favorite is they pull the trans drain plug and can't get the fill plug loose after it's empty or they just can't find it at all. Can you say tow truck ?? (Volvo autos don't have a fill plug)

Had one car pushed over from a fast lube shop where the "kid" drained the transmission, then pulled the plastic plug in the bell housing on a VW for the timing light and pumped in the oil on the top of the clutch Yup, they had to push it over because that poor clutch couldn't get a grip.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-19-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey man, I have seen the heading of this thread but hadn't read it because I don't know how to fix a tranny and I've been very busy.

My first question would be, how in the world do you syphon fluid up through the dip stick tube (and why would you do it that way)?

Other than that, there is a chance that the internal pump was damaged from that practice, or that it caused some kind of backwash or trapped some air in there. What I would do is a series of drains and fills as described in write ups here. Park the car on a level drive or slight downgrade. I usually drive my front wheels up on ramps. Then pull the drain plug. After the drain I add back 3.75 quarts. Drive 50 to 100 miles and repeat. Drive 50 to 100 miles and repeat. After the last refill, change the drain plug washer on the drain bolt. That should put your level back to it's proper level.

Hopefully that will un-stick anything that may be stuck in the tranny or unplug what may have been back washed.

Tranny's are sensitive and fluid flushes/changes do break the camels back sometimes but like Slim, I think you would have a code if something was actually broken.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Just a suggestion, Kiss, you seem to have a ton of great pictures. How about posting one showing the trans drain plug. Like rspi said, I can't imagine why the fluid was sucked/syphoned out the fill tube? Seems to me several drain & fills should get it working if it isn't broke. As far as I can see it still hasn't been established that 262... has the correct amount, not that a quart either way would cause these symptoms? For the record I'm using Valvoline Max-Life and it's perfect. My 2 cents!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Hey man, I have seen the heading of this thread but hadn't read it because I don't know how to fix a tranny and I've been very busy.

My first question would be, how in the world do you syphon fluid up through the dip stick tube (and why would you do it that way)?

Other than that, there is a chance that the internal pump was damaged from that practice, or that it caused some kind of backwash or trapped some air in there. What I would do is a series of drains and fills as described in write ups here. Park the car on a level drive or slight downgrade. I usually drive my front wheels up on ramps. Then pull the drain plug. After the drain I add back 3.75 quarts. Drive 50 to 100 miles and repeat. Drive 50 to 100 miles and repeat. After the last refill, change the drain plug washer on the drain bolt. That should put your level back to it's proper level.

Hopefully that will un-stick anything that may be stuck in the tranny or unplug what may have been back washed.

Tranny's are sensitive and fluid flushes/changes do break the camels back sometimes but like Slim, I think you would have a code if something was actually broken.
l did not even notice he syphoned the oil through the tube. same thing happened to me when l first got my 850R. l took it for a tranny flush and the mechanic shop syphoned through the tube. after a weak or two of drive my tranny seals blew and all the oil leaked from the tranny at one shot. good thing l had a friend who is a mechanic and replaced my seals for good price. after l got my tranny fixed l drained and filled my tranny with mobil1 synthetic, did it IPDs way. have never had a problem. tranny shifts without a problem. buddy drain the fluid and refill it and see if that helps like RSPI said.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Thank you for the new replies, I guess I will drain the fluid when I get a chance and refill with the same amount. I did check the level yesterday according the Volvo Way and it was good. Regarding the drain, isn't there a panel like a mud guard to remove first? Also, I think I need to get a new washer for the plug, correct?

Regarding the tranny, if something was broken, would it trigger a code / CEL? Could such a code be read with a normal OBDII reader?
For the record, the tranny is not leaking.

The idea of an air pocket in the tranny makes sense but remember that the car shifts properly, when I go from one gear to another, the shifting is smooth and nearly immediate, the only very slight roughness is when you go to R which I believe is normal.

Finally, why did I siphon fluid from the dipstick tube? Dunno.... because it works and since they sell pumps for that purpose, I tried... and thought it was not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Volvo 850 transmission issues... HELP PLEASE!