Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo seats in a Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo seats in a Honda?

Hey all- As an 850GLT owner, I love my heated leather seats. Car has 211k and generally in good shape with a few issues (don't we all?). My parents are down to one driver now and are planning on giving me their second car- a 97 Honda Accord wagon, rust free 100k miles. AC works. Very nice except for a clearcoat issue. Kinda torn about jumping ships, but still trying to decide.

Seems like 95% of all Accords I see have those lousy cloth seats. My U Pull It junkyard has a V70 with beautiful black leather seats, on seat special weekend they could be purchased for $10 each. If I could get V70 seats mounted to the Accord floor, what would be involved in hooking up the electrics (I'm assuming V70 seats would have lots of electrics like my 850 seats). Maybe it's as simple as hooking up a fused main power line (or 2)? I think except for the heaters, the passenger seat is manual. Maybe they wouldn't even fit- just have to try I guess.

Thanks! Dave

Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You may have to get a mounting bracket set up but that may raise the seat a little closer to an already challenged head room situation.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under the seat and see how many wires go to it. It's not going to be as simple as just hooking up a power line. Or two. Or three.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Default seats

I've had this same sort of question posted on a Accord Forum site for over a week with NO replies. Either it's a bad site or Accord people don't fiddle with their cars...

I think what might be in order is a trip over to my junkyard, pull a seat from an 850 or a V70, pull a seat from an Accord pre 98, and see how well the Volvo seat will fit in the Accord, compare wires etc. That's what I like about the U-Pull-It kinda place.

If a Leather Volvo seat was 100% manual it would sure be a lot simpler...D

Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Personally, I never liked power seats. I rarely let anyone drive my car, so the seat rarely moves. And when it does, it takes two seconds to pull a lever and slide it to where I want it, versus push a button and wait. And wait some more. Plus, I once had a 740 with a power seat that stuck in the far forward position at a car wash while I was vacuuming the rear floor. I'm 6'2". That sucked driving home. It's extra weight and complexity, for the sake of a negligible benefit.

Originally Posted by daver80
...or Accord people don't fiddle with their cars...
Sure they do. They spend just as much time on performance mods as we do. The difference is, we do it with cam swaps and transmission conversions. They do it with a can of yellow spray paint and dash trim.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Mud- Yes I agree totally. Once I get it set where I want it- (6' all the way back.) it never changes. Sometimes I think our Swedish meatballs are overly complex. Like the redundant vent controls. It's like there are 8 different ways to get fresh air!

I also have complaints about Volvo heated seats. With the thermostat, the seat heats when it determines that it should heat I guess then cuts off. When I push that seat heater button, I want it to come on and stay on as long as I want it to. Like our Buick Rendezvous. Guess they are trying to protect me from myself.

Yellow spray paint, dash trim and you forgot- custom 20" chrome rims!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daver80
I've had this same sort of question posted on a Accord Forum site for over a week with NO replies. Either it's a bad site or Accord people don't fiddle with their cars...

I think what might be in order is a trip over to my junkyard, pull a seat from an 850 or a V70, pull a seat from an Accord pre 98, and see how well the Volvo seat will fit in the Accord, compare wires etc. That's what I like about the U-Pull-It kinda place.

If a Leather Volvo seat was 100% manual it would sure be a lot simpler...D
Plus One. Therapy right there.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 AM

The electrics are pretty simple (aside from the 99-2000 models with electric SIPS bags).
The power seat needs 2 wires to work , a live feed and ground.
Heated seats also need only 2 wires ignition plus and ground.
The remaining cable from the 4 pole white connector is the safety belt warning light (grounded when the belt is in the lock)