Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

FOR THE WINTER DRIVERS...ABS AND TRAC CONTROL

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOR THE WINTER DRIVERS...ABS AND TRAC CONTROL

Hi guys, well i wanted to get some opinions from the winter drivers out there.. this is the first year i drive my 850 wagon GLE in winter. I bought a new pair of yokohama iceguards this fall and so far i find they handle well. I do notice though that under light braking the abs tends to kick in a little early AND on take-off the trac control takes effect almost right away (this happening with light amount of snow on ground) and not in "winter" mode. I also notice that there is a "humming" coming from the front left hand tire when turning towards the right..i don't know if this is normal or maybe i need an alignment??? If you can, please give me your driving impressions in winter driving conditions..take care.
fabs

Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Default RE: FOR THE WINTER DRIVERS...ABS AND TRAC CONTROL

I have a 94 850turbo sedan (US) with a set of goodyears on it and haven't had the ABS or traction kick in like you're seeing. Do your tires have a high-mileage warranty? The lower-mile tires like the goodyears I have tend to be "stickier" and grab better in my experience. I think the slipping is directly caused by the yoko's on your car. Not sure about the hum while turning.. that could be anything... even your exhaust ... catalyst or muffler rubbing against the heat shield.

J.C.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Hey JJC...well the tires are brand new....i donèt know what warranty they have. it may be due to that. Another observation though...itès happened a few times now...after driving for a while, ill get out of the car and it smells like burnt rubber..very wierd, i think ill bring it to the garage to check it out.i think i should have gotten the nokian hakka studded tires...doh! ahahah as for the humming, it doesnt have a metal sound, just a humming to it...i still have to check out the front end,might have to do with suspension..ièll let you know.thanks
fabs

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I recently got 2 new tyres on my station wagon and decided to have them in front for better traction. Although I dont remember the brand right now but all I remember is that I picked them for thier least noise rating and good high speed ratings. But on the first day along with some snow on roads I had a narrow escape and somehow survived crossing the red signal ( thanks to other drivers who saw me skidding and didnt started from their ends) I even partly missed the turn on my driveway at normal driving speed. Also had the same feel that my ABS was kicking in almost everytime I was hitting the brakes, even very light and could hear the tracs working on everystartup. Actually, I also noticed that I wasbetter off turning the traction system OFF.So, I went to my buddies garage and swapped the front tyres with the rear tyres and I can feel the grip back again.
Just my experience.