Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wrong Computer & Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Computer & Transmission

My mechanic has informed me that my car has the wrong model transmission and computer for my 97 850. He's doing some "homework" to try and figure out what to do from here. Has anyone had this problem? My car is always in limp mode so he's trying to make this work so I'm out of limp mode for good and the car can run as normal as possible despite having a different model computer and transmission. Any advice!?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Was the car in limp mode when you purchased it?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What transmission model do you have, and what ECU do you have in right now?

In this picture you see where it says 072. What does yours say? Or better yet, take a pic and post it. That will tell us what ECU you have in you car and if it's correct for an 850GLT.
Name:  IMG_20671.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  123.8 KB

Most of the ECU's are interchangeable but as you have a '97 850, if you were to install an ECU from say a '95 ECU with EGR or SAS, that could cause problems.

EDIT: sorry for the huge picture...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
What transmission model do you have, and what ECU do you have in right now?
What do they say you have and what is it they think you should have?

How long have you had the car and did you buy the car this way?
Has the limp mode light always been on?
Sorry to ask but have you made sure the selector switch close to the shift lever isn't in the "winter" position?
Is yours turbocharged?
The transmission should be a AW50-42. I don't know if there were different models of it.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM

The third mechanic I've talked to called me after 5 days to tell me my car was ready to be picked up. However, it would be free of charge because there was nothing he could do. The main problem seems to be the wiring and it's been explained to me that it's too complicated and expensive to fix. The car was not in limp mode when I bought the car. The limp mode came on about 4 weeks later. Can I turn limp mode off so I can drive my car without hassle? Would it be wise to turn limp mode off? I'm not quite sure what my next move should be. HELP!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Administrator

IMO, if you can drive the car for a week with no cel or limp mode, it should be able to drive forever. So, I think something has broken. Is there a cel? If so, what are the codes. The car will not go into limp mode without tossing a cel.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by volvoma850
The limp mode came on about 4 weeks later. Can I turn limp mode off so I can drive my car without hassle? Would it be wise to turn limp mode off? I'm not quite sure what my next move should be. HELP!
You can't turn limp mode "off". You have to fix the car. It's in limp mode because the computer thinks something serious is wrong. I don't know of any way to bypass it.

When did you get the car, when did the limp mode light start to come on?

The first guy said wrong transmission and wrong TCM (Trans Control Module). You said he was going to do some homework, what did he come up with?

Second one said ???? What was his opinion?

And third one says it's your wiring. Was it wiring at the transmission, to the transmission or the whole engine harness?

You need to find at least two that agree before you can feel safe paying someone to fix it.

Did second and third mechanic say anything about it being the wrong transmission or TCM?
Does your Winter, Econo, Sport switch seem to respond to your selection?

There is a chance it's your PNP (neutral safety) switch but it should set a code. If the transmission can't "see" where the shifter is by way of that switch it will go into limp mode.

Have any of the mechanics charged you for or told you they tried to or did read your codes?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Administrator

When I got my current wagon, the tranny was messed up. I got it going but within a couple of days 1st gear was gone. Also, it would not "kick down" and if I ever tried to drive agressive it would go into a tranny limp mode. The tranny limp mode was a little different than a full limp mode because in a full limp mode the car usually won't drive above 45 mph. This tranny limp mode would allow me to drive faster, just had little torque, took longer to get up to speed. So, while driving, I would read and reset the codes (P0745 and 1 other code). The code would clear and the car would drive better. How is your car acting?

Last edited by rspi; 10-23-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@#%$&

Last edited by 058ovlov; 03-11-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM

You can "reset" the limp mode fairly easily.

1.) With Limp "Arrow" flashing turn the car to the off position and than back to position II

2.) Be sure to watch the flashing arrow to ensure it is still flashing

3.) After 4 - 6 key turns to position II the Arrow should no longer be flashing but stay steadily lit in position II

4.) While in II with Arrow no longer flashing but steadily lit turn the car completely on.

5.) The Arrow will be gone and you should abe able to pull away quite easily with regular shifts.

*Note* There are a few things you should note when doing this

1.) This doesn't necessarily fix your car magically the problem could very well come back although in my circumstance it takes quite some time.

2.) Be sure to turn off any A/C, Headlights, or any other electronics you think could be hard on while moving from position I to II so frequently. (It can be a strain on the electronics)

3.) If you place into drive and the shift feels off or seems to have taken off in the wrong gear right after doing this procedure, pull back Shifter (Auto Tranny) into "L" and than back into "D" while moving.

4.) Definitely take to a mechanic!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

95 Automatic TCU

Name:  TCU.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  37.3 KB