Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Yet another no-start 850 (sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another no-start 850 (sigh)

Hi All

I have a 1995 850 GLT Estate Auto with a B5254 N/A.

A few weeks ago it started idling slightly strange - hunting up and down when going from D to P or N. Started and drove fine though.

Then a week or so ago, it needed a lot of cranking to start which got progressively worse until it would not start at all.

There are no codes in the computer (other than A/C related ).

I have:

Checked the Cam Sensor which seems fine (correct voltages etc, no shorts to ground).

CLeaned the MAF.

Cleared out some of the small vacuum lines comming off the throttle body (cleaned that too) and got all the gunk out of the flame trap (which wasnt completely blocked)

Replaced leads, rotor, cap & plugs with oem within the last 12 months (flushed the tranny then too)

Oil is good.

Battery is good.

I did the pedal to floor thing that Tech suggested somewhere and couldget it to start and eventually the black smoke clears, but it still doesnt run right, missfires and runs really rich. And 9 times out of 10 that only works with the MAF disconnected. Reconnect and it stalls - even with some throttle.

Fuel is getting in, but the rail is not holding pressure. The intake where the throttle butterfly is seems to fill up with petrol.

I have 3 theories that may all be right in some way.

1. I didnt check the Cam Sensor and it's faulty
2. MAF is dead
3. Leaking injector

I think the injector is the first to try, but how do you look at that? I know how to take the fuel rail etc off, but what am I looking for once it's off? Could it be a) leaking fuel into the intake and therefore being far to rich to start, then once it does start causing an air leak so the computer thinks it's lean and dumps a load of fuel in?

Have I missed something else altogether??

Getting parts is not all that easy - the only wrecker/breaker that deals with "Foreign Cars" is about 1000k's away... So hopefully it will be easily sourced seals or something!

Thanks in advance for any help!

William

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the MAF is dead.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad cam sensor is entirely possible, check all your vacuum lines? possibly o2...? fpr...?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the fast replies!

Originally Posted by tech
I think the MAF is dead.

Would that have anything to do with the fuel in the throttle body or do I possibly have 2 unrelated problems?

Cheers

Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Could be. The Maf could be bad and telling the ECU to run way to rich.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:17 AM

Any idea if the MAF is interchangeable between models?

Eg: 850 NA and 850 Turbo?

I have what appears to be the early 95 or 93-94 type that screws into the air box outlet as opposed to the type that comes within a tube type housing. The one's in the housing look to be removeable (2 screws).

Is there actually a difference other than the housing (and part number)?

Thanks again

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Administrator

I am not sure if that one will work or not. But on the 95 style the N/A and turbo ones should be the same.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it werent ridiculously cost-prohibitive, I'd send you a MAF sensor. However, since it is the case, try to find another MAF on a junkyard volvo.

Based on the info I have been getting here, whenever i hit a junkyard, i try to find parts that are known issues on our cars. I get along exceesingly well with the people at one yard, and they generally let me take relays and sensors for free. This is why I have 5 MAF sensors and about a dozen fuel pump relays. I'm sure I'll never go through all of those myself, but I'm not the only person whos gonna need those, so...

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi

Thanks for the help and support guys.

I've found a yard 2 hours up the road (thats fairly close for me!!) that has a CAS & MAF from a Turbo that sounds right. They are checking P/N's etc for me and hopefully they will match and sort the problem.

I figured that seeing as it seemed stuffed I couldnt make it worse and gave the MAF a good clean with Metho (denatured alchohol) and a Q-Tip and I actually managed to get the car to run and drive it to work but it wasnt happy at much over 3000rpm and is still running reaaaaaaly rich. So I think you were all right about the MAF.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

William

Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 AM

Hi All

Fixed! mostly

It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

The vacuum line was sucking fuel into the vacuum tree and so the intake was filling up with fuel and essetially flooding the engine.

After a lot more cranking (and pulling the Throttle Body off again, recleaning and letting the fuel evaporate) it now goes well.

Only strange thing is that there is a ticking noise that is RPM related (throughout the rev range). I have always had slightly noisy injectors, but it's a lot louder now. It's almost like a tappet sound but doesnt go away when the engine is warm - and there probably arent tappets on these engines?

It's comming from the engine - definitely not a belt or A/C etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again for the help

Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

ooh, thats a good thing to make public, nice find.

Tapping lifters is not uncommon in these cars. I would start with changing your oil. If it does not clear up there are other treatments that you can do such as adding a quart of detergent ATF fluid to your oil to clean out the lifter. Some have used Seafoam but I prefer the ATF method and have had great success.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
ACS

Hello,

I have a 850 GLT and when it gets cold (usually in the morning) outside it will

not start. I have to keep cranking it several times (15-20) at which time I'll start to

hear a clicking sound coming from the lower lefthand side near the hood release. As

I continue to crank it the sound becomes loader and at the point of it's loadest the

car will then start everytime. I'm thinking it may be some sort of temp. sensory but

not sure. I went through this all last winter and dont want to do it again.

Please Help

Old 11-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Try to figure out what is clicking and take a picture and post it.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Default fuel pressure regulator

Originally Posted by willowdog
Hi All

Fixed! mostly

It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

The vacuum line was sucking fuel into the vacuum tree and so the intake was filling up with fuel and essetially flooding the engine.

After a lot more cranking (and pulling the Throttle Body off again, recleaning and letting the fuel evaporate) it now goes well.

Only strange thing is that there is a ticking noise that is RPM related (throughout the rev range). I have always had slightly noisy injectors, but it's a lot louder now. It's almost like a tappet sound but doesnt go away when the engine is warm - and there probably arent tappets on these engines?

It's comming from the engine - definitely not a belt or A/C etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again for the help
try putting in a can of rislone in the oil ,if its a sticky lifter that will cure it

Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ACS

It was the fuel pump relay. Thanks anyway.

ACS