Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Need head gasket advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need head gasket advice

I have a 2011 C30 that needs a head gasket. I have experience doing this job on 850's and V70's, but not the C30. I'm thinking it should be mostly the same, but just in case I looked it up in a Chilton's database online that my local library subscribes to. This is the entire removal procedure, in order, according to them....

Drain cooling system
Relieve fuel pressure
Remove or disconnect:
- negative battery cable
- engine appearance cover
- air cleaner housing
- ignition coils
-intake manifold
- fuel rail and injectors
- O2 sensor connector
- front pipe at exhaust manifold
- exhaust manifold
- turbocharger, if equipped
Remove the screws for the bracket for oil pipes for the power steering
Remove the valve cover
Remove tensioned mounting yoke
Remove or disconnect:
- upper radiator hose
- accessory drive belt
- timing belt
- cam shafts
- valve tappets
- cylinder head

Right off the bat, in my experience, the timing belt has to come off before you remove the valve cover or you're going to damage the head. So at a minimum, I'm thinking their procedure is out of order, but I'm also allowing for the possibility that the procedure could be different on this engine. Is there anything those instructions missed or got wrong? Is there anything I need to do with the VVT solenoids or can they be left in place? It seems pretty simple, but it's been years since I last did a head gasket on a V70. Despite the apparent simplicity, they list something like 11+ hours to do the job.

Also, for reinstalling the head, they show a vague picture of a crankshaft adjustment tool, and the entirety of the instruction is...

"Remove the cover plug. Turn the crankshaft clockwise slightly. Install the crankshaft adjustment tool"

That's it. Clear as mud.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by mudpie
Also, for reinstalling the head, they show a vague picture of a crankshaft adjustment tool, and the entirety of the instruction is...

"Remove the cover plug. Turn the crankshaft clockwise slightly. Install the crankshaft adjustment tool"
That's for making sure the crank is positioned correctly. A tool fits in a spot after you remove the starter. My 2 shops have never owned that tool and have done a hundred heads over the years.

You will need a tool to hold the camshafts. To get the vvt gears off and on and to hold the cams in perfect alignment when you set the timing belt back up.

And yes it's pretty much the same as other b5xxx heads.

You say it needs a head gasket. I trust that was from overheating. If it was overheated the head WILL BE warped. It will need to be straightened, not just resurfaced for the head is warped on both the top and the bottom. You want the cams trying to spin in bearings that are lined up with each other.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
You will need a tool.... To get the vvt gears off and on and to hold the cams in perfect alignment.
I appreciate the input.
When you say the VVT gears, is that something that's part of or built into the cam gear that the timing belt sits on, or something different? In the past when I've pulled cams, I just left those attached. Would I not do that on this engine also? Does that cam gear have to come off the cam?
Thanks

Old 08-26-2022, 08:58 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

From what I remember the cam/s will not pull straight up out of the head without removal of the VVT gear. The non vvt gears have plenty of clearance and are removed easily.

The following users liked this post:
mudpie (08-27-2022)