Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Replacement batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement batteries?

I have a 2012 C30, and it has experienced the same starting issues, inexplicable* battery drain, and "immobilizer engaged" (or whatever) messages being displayed that others have seen. While it has never stranded me anywhere other than my driveway, it's (very) annoying, especially on an otherwise nice, beautiful car.

* - I will say that the car continues to occupy its time doing things even after the ignition switch is shut off, and it has a huge array of electronics, so it isn't really surprising there's some drain, when you leave it for 2 days and it won't start it's a shock. It seems the battery has to be at 105% of capacity to work; if it drops to 95% charge it isn't enough to warrant even a click out of the starter.

Well, this weekend it wouldn't work at all without requiring a jump to get started, so I decided it was time to replace the battery after all, even though it showed 100% last time I had the dealer test it, maybe 6 months ago. Local hack battery shop showed it needing replacement, so I decided to start looking.

NAPA doesn't carry a battery that will fit. Oh, they think they do, but both units are too tall for my car, won't fit in the box with the clamp engaged, and don't leave enough room for the top.

The local Sears can't help me. "Maybe if you drive 45 miles to a mall north of here they might have one."

The dealer doesn't even have one. "There are three different batteries for that car, and you have the largest. We're out of stock. They're $220."

Autozone might be able to help, but I've had bad luck with both Autozone and their batteries in the past.

Local autoparts place says they might have two, $89 and $100 respectively. The skeevy battery place I went claims to have one for $150, but everyone I know says, "Don't buy a battery there unless you're planning to sell the car."

I'm actually losing faith in my car, and Volvo as a company over this. And if I can't get parts that fit at NAPA, what's the world coming to?

Anyone got any suggestions? Right now I'm sort of in a holding orbit. While I don't want a "cheap" battery, I'm not real thrilled with paying $220 for one, either.