Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2000 C70 HPT Coupe - Questions - Wheels and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C70 HPT Coupe - Questions - Wheels and Rattles

Hi All -

I recently purchased a 2000 C70 HPT Coupe with a 5 spd stick from a Volvo dealer who found it at auction. 39,000 miles and seemingly very well cared for, but I do have a few issues that need attention...
  • Wheels - from the picture you can see the ugly wheels that came on the car! I want to go back to OEM 17x7.5 wheels and quality tires. I live in Southern New England. Can I get by on all-season tires or would you recommend snows and two sets of wheels (cha-ching!)? Would you recommend buying used and/or reconditioned wheels? Any ideas where to look?
  • Rattles - I've read about the problems with chassis/body/suspension rattles on the web regarding C70 convertibles, but I'm also experiencing consistent noises as I move down the road. Any advice on what to tell my mechanic to look for?
  • Sunroof - I had the dealer service the sunroof because it vibrated and shook while going down the road. No real imapct from the repairs. I have no water leaks, but I do get some funky air noises at high speeds (and the car, she does love the high speeds!!!). Any ideas on what I might do to resolve this?
I love the car! I'd been looking for one for months after rush hour claimed my '94 940 (traded the car in great shape needing a hood and fender for a new furnace!). I felt very fortunate to find this one in this condition and close to home. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks for the help...R.J.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 C70 HPT Coupe - Questions - Wheels and Rattles-c70-1.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm stunned that you don't like those rims, i think they look sweet, especially with the silver paint. I think they look better than stock anyways...

I run two sets of tires, world of difference.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Hey Corey -

The wheels may look a little better in photos than in person! They have a very bright chrome look and are not in the best shape. I know two of them are also a tad out of round. Maybe a better look on a Miami Vice ride than this one!

I've had 240's and 940's RWD and never gone with snows. I was thinking that with the FWD I would need them even less. I did just read that summer only tires get too hard to provide good traction in cold weather, but that this is not a problem with high quality all-season tires. Question for you - do you have the snows on steels or do you have two sets of nice rims?

Thanks...R.J.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road noises, my 98 C70 HT, 24k miles had noises from front bushings, sprayed with silicone spray each day 4 5 days for 2 weeks, noise went away. Maybe same with urs.
My metal strip rattles when sunroof closed, no aparent reason. what did the dealer do to urs?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can find the CANISTO original rims on e-bay, $116 - $230 each! There are remanufactured sets now on sale, OEM style. Dealer wants $330 ea. locally!
Warning - be gentle with the seat back releases & seat movement on these 98 -02 C70s, the micro switch that controls the buckets is located in between the top/bottom pivot arms. Replacement a real big problem, I kow, paid dealer $1000 to repair after youngster broke getting out of back seat! Research showed common problem!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM

I have a set of after market fancy rims for the summer tires. I run federal SS 595, even though it is a cheaper tire, they easily out perform my old Pilot Sports.

For the winter time I have the stock alloy rims with Blizzak Studless Ice and Snow tires mounted. Best winter tires ever. You will not believe the difference it makes vs. all season tires. I was not a believer until I tried it. I do so much long distance driving that I wanted to play it safe, and I figured my life was worth the investment.