Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2002 Volvo c70 wont rev past 2000 rpm and very rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Volvo c70 wont rev past 2000 rpm and very rich

Hey folks, Im new to the forum and recently just acquired a dealership that sells a lot of Volvo's. I am a auto shop and been in business for 17 years.
I took on an engine swap in a 2002 Volvo c70 2.3l Turbo.
After installing engine, car idles great. When I press the accelerator pedal it will rev up to 2000 rpm's and then acts like it hits a rev limiter. Also runs real rich at this time. I re-checked all vacuum hose routing and connectors. Everything is routed properly. It is throwing no codes. And watching the live data I see that the timing advances as the engine revs up. Then when it hits 2000- 2200 rpms the timing going negative 6 degrees.
I installed new timing belt, did not loosen the VVT exhaust. So it was as simple as lining up the marks and putting the belt on with new water pump and tensioner and idler pulley. I did notice the belt was 3 teeth off when I pulled it apart. And I assume it was from the crud on the crank pulley and rotating the engine. It was a low mileage junk yard engine. And looked like the front of car was wrecked because of the mud and crud on that side of engine. Compression was checked and there is plenty. As I stated the car runs excellent until it hits 2000-2100 rpm.
Ive disconnected battery cables and held together for 30 minutes. Was told that it reboot the computer by a local Volvo man.
I switch all sensors back to original. Any idea's I would greatly appreciate it. As I will probably run into this again as he has more Volvos to put an engine in.
The dealer did have 1 Volvo that he put a crank sensor in and it did the same thing. Then after sitting a couple days he started car to bring it up here and it ran fine. So my guess is the computer had to re-learn and I hoping this is a similar issue.
Ive checked fuel pressure also and it is 55psi. which is in spec for the bosh.
Thanks in advance
JAson

Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 views and no idea's

Well looks like Im going to send it down the road. Im leaning towards a computer issue. Got the rest of the story on the car. It belonged to an old lady and was running ruff. Like it is right now. The dealer slapped a new turbo on it for what reason I don't know. The lady son decided to pick it up and did god knows what but blew the engine very shortly after.
I Got and ECT sensor, the right one for 8 dollars.... Got it very cheap. Put it in just for the heck of it and still nothing better. I did that before I found out the story. I put a noid light on it and it blinks steadily in rhythm and get brighter and faster with engine rpm. Until 2100 rpms. And then it looks like its sending morse code. Ive check about all I can check. And leaning towards a computer issue. Something is holding the injectors open to cause it to run super rich and sputter or as I stated previously seriously retarding the ignition timing to -6 when it does this problem. I drove the car around parking lot and ran it for hours. I cannot get it to throw a code and Im not paying snap on 1k to activate the German software that's already in the Solus computer. The dealer is happy sending to someone that handles computer issues so Im fine with it also...... asta la vista c70