Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

soft top problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top problems

I just want to let you all know that I have noticed something about the c 70 the rear window in the soft top falls out something to do with the heat seal.... the top is not all that hard to install and taking it to a professional like me will set you back almost 2,000 u.s dollars. so please keep in mind dont take your soft top through machine car washes it will shorten the life of your top it was only designed to last about 7 years you can get more if you take care of the top and park in the garage in winter.... just want to help.....

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Our 03's rear window fell out at about 6 years. The insurance company accepted a comprehensive claim and it cost us our deductable.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM

you are lucky I am happy for you.....

Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default soft top issues

I have a 2002 c70 soft top. Notice that when the top is up and i look in the rearview mirror, the bottom of the window material shows a gap about half way accross. I felt it with the top half down, and it seems to be like velcro at the bottom. Should I hot glue it shut, or is there a more reasonable solution? Don't want my window to fall out and don't want to spend a fortune on the upholstery professional my Volvo dealer referred me to.
Capwheel

Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Default 2002 C70 Soft Top

I stopped by my Volvo dealer yesterday and showed the service supervisor my back window problems. He suggested trying superglue, first at a corner, to see if it holds. If it seems to work, he said to do the whole bottom where the cloth is separated below the window. He did not recommend hot glue because he said it is too messy and might results in lumps in the seam. Finally, he said that the only thing the dealership could do is replace the whole soft top, like I'm going to choose that over super glue!!
Capwheel

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Default c70 soft top

I tried "Gorilla Super Glue" where my top attaches to the bottom of my rear window. Seems to really work well. No more gap after several "ups and downs" with the top.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

sorry I have been busy with work and havent been on in a while glad you found a solution we would have used polyurethane and would not have been able to say for sure that it would hold....

Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Default Superglue for softtop

Thank you Jasenklems for your response and for taking time to make a comment.
I should add that I used the "Gorilla Superglue" when the top was fully up. This gives you a nice vertical space to apply the glue, and it gives the maximum tension on the softtop material for an accurate matchup of the two surfaces. Initially, I tried it with the top half up where i could stand over the trunk and apply the glue. This was sloppy and hard to match the two surfaces without tension. So I crawled into the rear seat with the top down. I've had the top down about 10 times now, and the seal is holding well.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Default softtop

Sorry, I crawled into the back seat with the top UP!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 PM

I realize that this is an old thread however I thought I would add my two cents. Purchased my 2000 convertible and the window gave out within several days. Local shop was able to glue it successfully for a year and that it failed again. Rather than spend $2000, I found several tops available online for for $550-$900. I chose towards the higher end at about 750 after a lot of research. I ordered the top and I also found a video CD online for $30. Between the two and the number of hours every day for seven days. I was able to replace it. Most of it is just tedious removal and replacement of screws. However, a very important point is on the sides in the lower corner behind the passenger windows. There is a small complex threaded metal piece that must be removed and reinstalled. There is virtually no clearance, very small ratcheting box wrench would help a lot. It is also important to note the order in which those pieces disassemble and assemble. The video was weak in that point and cost me an extra hour of disassembly and reassembly. I am far from a mechanical pro so I encourage you to tackle it if you have some time and patience.

A few tips, I put each section of the cars screws and fasteners in separate Ziploc's and labeled them. I put pieces of tape with the labels at each of the holes so I could identify where things went. I also took a lot of pictures and videos to consult on reassembly.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Default 2000 VOLVO C70 ROOF INFO - Soft top problems

Originally Posted by kevinmc70
I realize that this is an old thread however I thought I would add my two cents. Purchased my 2000 convertible and the window gave out within several days. Local shop was able to glue it successfully for a year and that it failed again. Rather than spend $2000, I found several tops available online for for $550-$900. I chose towards the higher end at about 750 after a lot of research. I ordered the top and I also found a video CD online for $30. Between the two and the number of hours every day for seven days. I was able to replace it. Most of it is just tedious removal and replacement of screws. However, a very important point is on the sides in the lower corner behind the passenger windows. There is a small complex threaded metal piece that must be removed and reinstalled. There is virtually no clearance, very small ratcheting box wrench would help a lot. It is also important to note the order in which those pieces disassemble and assemble. The video was weak in that point and cost me an extra hour of disassembly and reassembly. I am far from a mechanical pro so I encourage you to tackle it if you have some time and patience.

A few tips, I put each section of the cars screws and fasteners in separate Ziploc's and labeled them. I put pieces of tape with the labels at each of the holes so I could identify where things went. I also took a lot of pictures and videos to consult on reassembly.
Hi,
I too have the same model car here in western australia & the rear window is now held in position with liberal helpings of a "Selleys compound called solar flex" both inside & outside. Would appreciate any photos/videos you can share showing how you did the change. I'm a senior citizen so money is tight - the car is great to drive & have owned it for 7 years & done 110000 kms in that time (total on car now 232000km). Thanks in advance