Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2007 Roof Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Roof Failure

Hello,

I've had my C70 for 6 months now with no issues. One day my wife took the car to work and when she left for the day her purse rested on the open roof button. The roof started to open. It got to the point when the trunk was open, but the roof hadn't yet started to retract. At that point the message "Roof Failure" appeared. After some time she was able to close it. When she got back I used my key and was able to open the roof completely, but it wouldn't close with the same message. Using her key we were able to close it. I took the car to the dealership and they found no codes, but reset the roof module. The next day when I tried to retract the roof it stated the same issue that occurred for my wife. When I got home I still couldn't open it, in fact it wouldn't start to retract at all. The next day I tried again and the roof both openned and closed with no issues. The other part is the roof failure message will not stay in the messages after the car has been turned off. The only other similarities to when it happened to my wife and I is that the car was in the sun for some time. I searched the forum here and didn't see anyone else with this issue. If anyone has any experience with a similar situation please let me know as the dealer service center has no idea at this time even after talking with Volvo. Thanks in advance.

Update: After a second attemp with the dealer they located that the Hall Switch needed to be replaced. There were also a number of numerious recalls related to roof operation including noise issues. So far the roof has operated correctly, but it has been only one day into it.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: 2007 Roof Failure

My roof has been working ok, but it is very noisy,but everything else seems to be falling apart in this Ford with only 4k on the odometer.

1. Urgent airbag maintence required light on - bad code.
2. Engine light on - bad code.
3. Engine lighton 2 - fuel system leak and fuel pump replaced.
4. Door lock light comes on but does not stay on (menu is set correctly) - Need to take it in.
5. CD Deck Error message - CD won't play or eject - Need to take in.
6. Roof is very noisy. There is a TSB to lubricate and add rubber stops according to the dealer.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Casique,

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I'm especially interested to hear more about the resolution of your items 4 and 6. In item 4, are you referring to the little door lock LEDs by the inside door handles? I have to admit not really knowing how these are supposed to work. One thing I have noticed is that if I lock the car with the top down, the door lock LEDs are lit to begin with, but then at some point they turn back off (but the alarm LED on the dash is still blinking). I can't recall if the same thing happens when the top is up. My wife is driving the car most of the time, and so I'll have to read up on what these LEDs on the doors are supposed to do, and when, and what the menu options are.

I haven't noticed excessive top noise (when going up or down), although if it has been up for a while there is sometimes a fairly loud noise when it "breaks free" of the windshield header. I also have been lead to believe that the dealer is supposed to do a thorough top alignment/adjustment check at the first service, but I'm not yet to that point. If they have some other "fixes" to apply, it would be good to know what they are.

I haven't had any warning light gremlins yet, and so far have not noticed any functional problems, but it's also possible that I've just overlooked some things.

Thanks for posting your experiences, good and bad.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM

rschleicher

The light, depending on the seetings you choose, can either stay on when the doors are locked or just flash on and then extinguish. Mine wont sta on even though they are set to do so.

I think the opening and closing noise is normal. The rattles while driving with the top up is not.

I'll keep you posted!