Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2008 C70 roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2008 C70 roof leak

Have an issue with 2008 C70 hardtop convertible that has some sort of leak into the trunk after a hard rain. Not sure where to look or what is causing the issue. The car only has 42,000 miles and had always been garaged until we purchased it in August 2015. It had 36,000 miles at the time of our purchase. My fiance loves this car and it was a replacement for her 2002 S60. She LOVES this Volvo, and really does not want to get rid of it, but we need to find the problem and quickly. I have hear of some issues with the C70 leaking into the trunk. It can accumulate over an inch of water after a really continuous rain over a week here. We live in the Seattle area, but unfortunately putting the car in a garage is not a viable option of where we live at on a lake as there is not garage on our lake house. Please help me find this leak.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:18 PM

Anyone here have any ideas? I do not want to hav to go to the dealer to find if this is an issue or class probem, I would really like to help her get her car fixed. If we can't figure out what or how to fix this she will decide to get rid of the car and Iknow this is the last thing she want to do but dealing with mold and wet trunk damage is not worth keeping the car in her mind, please someone help me with this.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ritzy4runner
Anyone here have any ideas? I do not want to hav to go to the dealer to find if this is an issue or class problem, I would really like to help her get her car fixed. If we can't figure out what or how to fix this she will decide to get rid of the car and Iknow this is the last thing she want to do but dealing with mold and wet trunk damage is not worth keeping the car in her mind, please someone help me with this.
hi i don't know nothing of the model of car but usual way to find leaks is smoke

buy a cheap smoke machine of ebay make sure it makes a lot of smoke and fill the car hard in a convertible i know but can be done
it will probs give you 10-15 places to look not 100's

Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Default Seattlelite with same problem

Hi there. I am researching the same issue on my 2008 c70. I bought the car used with 35000 miles. It now has 44000 miles and after all the rain we have had I found a tremendous amount of water in my trunk this evening. The car has only ever been serviced by the Seattle Volvo dealer. (Previous owner and myself). Did you ever find a solution to your leak, or something to minimize the problem? I am desperate because I would hate to have to sell my car.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 AM
Default How I solved my mystery leak in boot footwell

I solved the leak in my C70 quite easily, all I did was remove the trim in the boot,and then poured water at the top around the back areas, in all the water channels and watched the flow. I did the left side first and started at the rear sections and moved up back towards the roof. The water was running around the channels and out of the drain hole, and also along to the rear light cluster.

After pouring quite some water I could clearly see where the water ingress was happening. For me it was at the back near the left rear light clusters, there was a little hole That some cables attach to, which had come lose over the years, and it seemed water was coming in from behind this hole, running down the side (under the trim) and pooling in the footwell.

So I filled this hole with some bathroom tile sealant and so the mystery boot leak was solved!

Attached Thumbnails 2008 C70 roof leak-6719f809-55c4-4edd-8120-510b4f7086f2.jpeg   2008 C70 roof leak-ce8b4075-3bae-48d0-9954-afa4ab20558d.jpeg   2008 C70 roof leak-b8c5ea47-095a-4acb-9d56-27f91af227d3.jpeg   2008 C70 roof leak-9a3f0b35-a240-46b7-b802-4a38aadb94f0.jpeg  
Old 06-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Default Solved water leak in boot / trunk Volvo C70 MY2009

Originally Posted by Mgreeness
Hi there. I am researching the same issue on my 2008 c70. I bought the car used with 35000 miles. It now has 44000 miles and after all the rain we have had I found a tremendous amount of water in my trunk this evening. The car has only ever been serviced by the Seattle Volvo dealer. (Previous owner and myself). Did you ever find a solution to your leak, or something to minimize the problem? I am desperate because I would hate to have to sell my car.
I solved it, I removed all the trim in the boot, then Cleaned out the water drain holes in the body sides, and poured water down the sides so it ran down past the Drain holes towards the back of the car.

i found that the water seemed to go down behind the light, then behind the metal and at the back of the metal, na dot came into the boot of the car via some little holes that the wiring is clipped into to.

my leak as in my post was on the left rear side but I suspect the other side is the same. I just used some bathroom sealant to fill those holes and then plugged the wire clips back in.

the part I am talking about is the very back part of the vehicle, the inside at the bottom of the boot, not the tyre well but just before that, under all the carpet and trim there are a bunch of cables secured to the body with plastic clips. The holes these clips are in leak water.

it’s a great car, and the roof mechanical design is fantastic- but there is a little bit of a design flaw when it comes to water in the boot. The waster runs down the back and comes in from the back, it’s not great.

also I noticed another design flaw that causes a water leak! If you park the car on a hill with the back of the car slopes down, then the water pools at the bottom of the back windscreen and makes its way in through the top rubber seal!!

other than that great design!

i hope this helps your problem!

Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Default Boot leak easily fixed

Originally Posted by madyotto
hi i don't know nothing of the model of car but usual way to find leaks is smoke

buy a cheap smoke machine of ebay make sure it makes a lot of smoke and fill the car hard in a convertible i know but can be done
it will probs give you 10-15 places to look not 100's
there are some holes at the back where the water runs down the back and makes it’s way in from there! Just fill these holes with bathroom sealant! Also if you park on a hill slope the water pools and comes in at the bottom of the windscreen!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Default Question about disassembly

Do you have details on removing back trim panel? I suspect there are screws behind interior lights but I’m afraid they’ll break when I’ve tried to pry them out.
ive got tons of panel removal tools and a few years experience doing just that in a body shop when younger but this one is challenging me!
Please let me know if you have any tips or pics.

Originally Posted by 09C70UK
I solved the leak in my C70 quite easily, all I did was remove the trim in the boot,and then poured water at the top around the back areas, in all the water channels and watched the flow. I did the left side first and started at the rear sections and moved up back towards the roof. The water was running around the channels and out of the drain hole, and also along to the rear light cluster.

After pouring quite some water I could clearly see where the water ingress was happening. For me it was at the back near the left rear light clusters, there was a little hole That some cables attach to, which had come lose over the years, and it seemed water was coming in from behind this hole, running down the side (under the trim) and pooling in the footwell.

So I filled this hole with some bathroom tile sealant and so the mystery boot leak was solved!

Old 02-07-2021, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by GlenW
Do you have details on removing back trim panel? I suspect there are screws behind interior lights but I’m afraid they’ll break when I’ve tried to pry them out.
ive got tons of panel removal tools and a few years experience doing just that in a body shop when younger but this one is challenging me!
Please let me know if you have any tips or pics.
I stripped my boot down using the attached PDF, which is a Volvo guide for installing a towbar module

Attached Files