Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Axle Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Replacement.

Hi all, New to this forum. Got a 2008 C70 that has a shudder during acceleration from about 15 - 30MPH. Story goes I changed the oil on the Volvo couple weeks back I noticed the passenger side outer CV boot failed. Must have just torn because not much grease was slung out. I usually do most of my own repairs but work has me very busy during the summer so I took it down to a reputable place that specializes in European cars to replace the CV boots as they were all dry rooting. They said they don't replace the boots they just replace the axles. So I let them have at it. Got the car back and now I have the shuddering problem. Obviously a bad CV joint. Took it back and they said the axles are Remans from a good supplier. They replaced the passenger side axle again thinking it was the problem. Still shudders. I brought the car home and and raised the front to try to figure where the problem is. I get a small amount movement in all of the CV joints when I pull and twist on them. First question is this normal? Right now the shop is looking for a good supplier for OEM axles to just replace the whats on there now. Apparently new original Volvo axles for the C70 are not sold. It's ether Remans or aftermarket new. Second question is can any of the professionals in Volvo land suggest a good supplier or brand of axles? Sorry for so such a long winded post. I should have just replaced the boots myself as it would have saved me alot of time.
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Some play is normal but I couldn't say how much.

I'm assuming they haven't tried a dealership? Sure, they aren't cheap. But you get what you pay for.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked with the dealer and they are $1200.00 for both. I'll do that if there are no other reasonable options. Just checking to see if there are quality after markets out there. Just a little ticked that my original axles are gone as they were sent in for the core. Wished I had pushed them to just replace the boots but I know there is less labor involved in replacing the axles.