Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper removal

So as I made a last minute run to pick up some rock salt before the impending snow storm I got cut off and had a small fender bender. now im left with a scratched up bumper and a broken heart.....

I was hoping that I could do the paint work myself (waiting till spring of course). But was wondering a few things....

1. How hard is it to remove the bumper?
2. How hard will it be to find the right paint for my car?
and finally...
3. Has anyone done this before and is it really worth it?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bumper removal

If it's just scratched, you may be able to have it touched up for shorter money.
But if it's torn, Try finding one in the same color, from a localauto salvage yard. Then it's a matter of getting under and disassembling.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: snulma1
1. How hard is it to remove the bumper?
2. How hard will it be to find the right paint for my car?
and finally...
3. Has anyone done this before and is it really worth it?
Thanks guys!
1. To remove the bumper it should be a bunch of clips on the underside. Not too hard to do. Have extra clips handy, 'cause I'm sure some will break, and not be usable afterwards.
2. Finding the paint code should be easy. It should be on a sticker somewhere on the car. ( door jamb, or under the hood) You can buy paint from PPG, which might be cheaper then Volvo as well. IF you go to a paint store, they will have a book there that you can flip through, that will show a paint sample, as well as a code to confirm it with.
3.Nobody can answer if its worth it besides you. Do you like the car enough to want to make it look good again?

Depending in how severe the bumper is, you might be able to take it to a detailer who can polish the other car's paint off of your car. If its deeper then that, or a cut into the bumper cover, get one from a scrap yard as mentioned, get it painted for a few hundred, and pop it on yourself in the spring. Maybe you can save some coin by taking to your local volvo dealer repair shop, and ask them to squirt it next time they are painting that colour. - good luck on that though, slim odds.

If you have to ask about getting a paint code, I'm guessing you dont have the skills or equipment to paint a car part. Take it to a shop, let them work their magic. and pick up your car all nice and new.

I recently spent $1400 on getting my pass. door fixed, as well as about 10-12 other small dings, also getting my rear bumper pulled off, and re-aligned ( the body lines were not matching up right) I have a white car, which appearently has a slight pearl in it (so they tell me it costs more) If that gives you an idea of what you're looking at.

S.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 AM

There isn't paint on it, its like the white paint has been chipped/scraped off.

So if I can pull the bumper off myself and borrow a friends paint gun or rent one. How much do you think it would be to re-paint the bumper? would I be able to just do the corner or would I have to do the whole thing?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it on and go getsome estimates. I'm guessing it won't be to much. You have until spring to find someone and by then you may havemade more runs for rock salt and have more dings for them to ......oops.......just kidding.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Eric is right. Leave it on till spring and see what you're dealing with. No sense in painting it now, just for more potential abuse. You're gonna need to pull the whole bumper and do all, if you want it done right. Sand it, paint it, and clear it. It wont cost that much. I was suprised at how cheap painting is from a reputable shop.

I'm sure it will be under $500.

S.