Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 cornering squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 cornering squeal

I have a 1999 C70 2.4 that recently picked up a squeal during left hand turns at speed. Between then and when i stopped using the car it became louder and even started to occur on the straight ahead (but not when turning right) It seems to happen at speeds of over 50mph and when the car has warmed up (though of course it could simply be that it takes for me to reach the motorway before the car comes to temperature. When it first happened I assumed it was brake pad wear indicator, but pads and disks are all fine. The MOT certificate has two advisory notes that state that both ball joints had play at the time of testing (Jan) So I'm assuming that I should check the state of these first, possibly to replace. Though out of curiosity does anybody know if the ball joints are sealed or are you able to lubricate them? Also does anybody have any further routes of investigation I should take?
Thanks in advance
Nath

Old 05-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Default RE: Cornering squeal

1st post here--1st reply---just got a 2000 c70 last month with only 38K miles on it...unfortunately, she's in the shop right now 'cause I screwed
up one of the convertible sensors and the top's boot won't go down..uhh!

However, while the Volvo mech was diagnosing that last week he did ask
if there were any noises when I turned and it did (though not that noticed it at 50 MPH)---he greased the two rubber pads in the area where the wheel's axle and the TIE-ROD(??? I'm not a mechanic) rubbed together
and that stopped the noise immediately...he said to do that every few months 'cause if it's making that noise then stops on its own it past the point of greasing and will need a replacement fix....good luck...now I'm
gonna try and find out what to expect in $$$ before the Volvo shop calls me back in a couple hours...I shouldn't have tried closing the top when the passenger window stopped working when it's controls got wet...ended up knocking the top outa whack...%*&^*%

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Will have to check that out, though now thinking wheel bearing, a little research and a post on another thread point to it.
Passenger side wheel has a tiny bit of play if you rock it with the car raised, while drivers side is solid.
Will check the tie rod anyway though.

cheers (and good luck)

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM

Got it
Turns out the rear right hand side wheel is near solid (raised up, parking brake off).

So from this i'm guessing bearings would still be the main suspect??

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM

And found it.
rubber dust seal on the caliper has corroded.
A bit of work (and WD40) and it's working fine again. Just need to renovate the caliper.

Thanks to all suggestions