Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 issues im having !

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
ICE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 issues im having !

Hey guys, Im only new here and have a few questions and issues regarding my newly purchased 1998 Volvo C70 HPT.

Firstly despite the issues ive been having I love it and I dont care what all my friends have said prior to me buying as they now have changed their mind upon seeing and going for a ride in it

the car stopped the day after i had it and came up with a light which basically means there is a problems with your engine electronics. Then I was able to turn on but it wouldnt go anywhere at all and ofcourse I sh*t myself thinking it was something very serious.

Luckily a friend was behind me and happened to have an OBDII kit with him. We plugged it in and cleared the error and I was able to drive off without it coming back.

the error it gave was either the maf or vaf are faulty ? Mass air flow and the vane air flow (what is vane air flow ?) is it something to do with the sensors ?

Also each morning after about 10 minutes, smoke comes through the air vents and when i shut them off they come through the demist vent. this is all of course with everything completely turned off. in the afternoon nothing happens and i can drive the car without any probs ?!

its been about the 15 degree mark the last 2 mornings when its happened. seems to be something to do with the cold and the heat ????

any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The mass flow might be bad.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by tech
The mass flow might be bad.

haha seems to be fine now but how do i really tell ? replacing it probably wont be cheap !

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the MAF is costly on a Volvo..............I replaced mine a year back. I would purchase a can of CRC MAF cleaner..............give it a try first. I recently cleaned my MAF on the C70 and it was amazingly cruddy even 'though my air cleaner was new. Simply erasing the codes will not "cure" your Volvo...............you have issues other wise you would not have codes showing. Volvo's become increasingly costly if you do not keep up with maintenance and timely repairs. Lasty, pay heed to TECH and his responses..............he is always correct on his diagnoses and will help you in your trials and tribulations with your c70.

r.

r.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM

yeah, try to clean the MAF with that cleaner first. i cleaned mine with brake clean and allowed it to dry really good before turning it on. my light hasen't come on since i cleaned it.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 AM
ICE

thanks guys i did that today or so i thought I did.

went to Super cheap auto and got some MAF cleaner and took my MAF off. im not sure I sprayed the right part.

there was some little sensor in the tubing which i didnt want to spray incase it would ruin it. are there any pics I can look at ?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
reg

By using CRC MAF cleaner you will not ruin any plastic part. When you have the unit off, spray the heck out of everything!! Let the cleaner run out of the MAF and do not worry that you are spraying something that you shouldn't be. I am assuming that you have truly unplugged the MAF and are holding it in your hand. There is no short cut by leaving it in the 'tube' assembly..............it has to be removed and hand held.

r.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by reg
By using CRC MAF cleaner you will not ruin any plastic part. When you have the unit off, spray the heck out of everything!! Let the cleaner run out of the MAF and do not worry that you are spraying something that you shouldn't be. I am assuming that you have truly unplugged the MAF and are holding it in your hand. There is no short cut by leaving it in the 'tube' assembly..............it has to be removed and hand held.

r.

the part that comes out of the tube is the sensor right ? I didnt want to spray that as it looked clean and I just wasnt sure.....not going to risk spraying something and then have to pay $150 for my stupidity and impatience. Ill try again tonight and see how it goes but to be honest if its the part im thinking of its very clean already.

cheers guys

Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
ICE

Im still having the issue each morning where im gettin some kind of smoke coming into the cabin through the vents even when the aircon and everything is off. Only in the morning ????? must be a coolant leak somewhere as it smells like burning coolant.

in the afternoon when I leave work the aircon works fine ?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Maybe heater core is slightly weaping.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
ICE

Maybe heater core is slightly weaping.

is that something I can check ?

and would it cause so much smoke in the morning ? maybe when its warm it expands and seals ? ugghh so many things........ its going in for service Monday to see what the issue is.

thanks for your continued help guys

Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
reg

Ice is not going to be happy with the cost/labour of replacing to heater core! I tell you TECH...........I just can't reason why people buy these old Volvo c70s as when they 'mature'............they act just like a person...........the health costs escalate quickly! Ice is still facing suspension and transmission surprises. I wish him luck!

r.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by reg
Ice is not going to be happy with the cost/labour of replacing to heater core! I tell you TECH...........I just can't reason why people buy these old Volvo c70s as when they 'mature'............they act just like a person...........the health costs escalate quickly! Ice is still facing suspension and transmission surprises. I wish him luck!

r.

oh lovely !

thanks for letting me know.....I look forward to it....jeeesh.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

You might be able to see some weaping from it. But you have to remove the lower dash panel and pull the carpet back some behind the dash to see the core area. Also when you first turn the heat on if you get a sweet smell then it is leaking.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 AM
ICE

You might be able to see some weaping from it. But you have to remove the lower dash panel and pull the carpet back some behind the dash to see the core area. Also when you first turn the heat on if you get a sweet smell then it is leaking.
thanks Tech

its going for service Monday and ill tell my Mech, if he doesnt have time ill give it a go. thankyou

Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
reg

Ice, once you get your issues worked out you will be just fine...............IF you religiously perform maintenance!! All your fluids need to be changed.........for God's sake look ASAP into your timing belt. You have an absolutely sharp looking auto...........it's just that Volvo did not make them to last.........it seems. You will find that TECH can help you with most all your problems if you ask.

r.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 AM
ICE

thanks Reg,

im pretty **** about servicing etc so that part shouldnt be a problem.

The timing belt was done only 30,000 ago...im talking kilometres though so it will be fine for another 60 atleast....but ill keep an eye on it in anycase.