Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

c70 smoking, trans fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c70 smoking, trans fluid replacement

have an 03 C70, love this car, its incredible, smooth, quick. two days ago staarted smoking just a little poof white smoke not steam, from what ive heard and read it could be low trans fluid, ive looked pretty thoroughly and cant seem to locate the trans dipstick or the resivoir, no volvo mechanics local, any advice!?!? dont have the funds for a major fix now so i hope its not serious

Last edited by scotth; 11-30-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans stick

I have a 2003 c70 convertible and this summer I changed my trans fluid.
Facing the engine disconnect the large hose that gose over the center of the engine at the top. move it to your left. You may want to tie it with some string to keep it to your left.
Look down at the bottom of the engine/trams and you will see a little YELLOW PLASTIC cap/stick. there is a metal prong holding the dip stick in place. It is very hard to move the prong and remove the stick. I slide a long screw driver along the prong to release the d/stick.
NOW.... there is a drain plug for the trans fliud on the trans pan so you can remove the old fliud if needed.
Two things .... one.... I broke my d/s inside the tube after replacing the fluid while checking the fluid level, I was lucky and removed the broken part without any real problem. I recommend that you make a extra d/s out of a plactic strap and mark the levels .
I flushed my system and used Toyota T -5 fluid ...... nothing put problems... the trans slammed into First gear and caused the tire to squeal . After slowing down to make a corner the trans would slip and then bang onto gear. While slowing the car down the trans would slip and then bang into gear.
I flushed the system again and used Volvo fluid and from the very first movement of the car everything worked great. Some people have had success with Mobil and T-5.... I did not. My car has 80,000 miles.
I googled the volvo fluid for my car and purchased on-line. I purchased mine from www.advanceaotoparts.com I think ?

I am not an expert but this worked for me......questions ?

Cb