Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

exhaust with a little rumble to it

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust with a little rumble to it

while my vovlo is down for the winter and getting work done on it anyways i want to add a little rumble to the exhaust,
straight pipes and fart cannons are just not my thing. i'm partial to the sound of a thrush muffler.
issue seems to be i noticed the stock muffler is a front in and side out. what do you guys do for that?? do you bypass the stock muffler location with pipe and put it towards the back?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM

ok i'm guessing after almost a week and no responses,either everybody prefers stock exhaust or goes the fart cannon route. am i correct on this??

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM

lol, definitely not. I'm planning on doing an exhaust upgrade eventually, but im not sure what I want yet. Here's a few ideas for you from people in this forum:

This guy used Magnaflow parts:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-15436/page22/
Video with sound:
2000 volvo C70 exhaust clip - YouTube

I think all this one did was remove the "middle box", whatever that is:
Before: Volvo C70 2.0t standard exhaust - YouTube
After: Volvo C70 2.0t with middle box removed - YouTube

So there's a couple of ideas for ya that definitely don't sound like fart cannons. Lol

Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is also this one.
Exhaust Systems - Sparktec Motorsports
If it is a little to loud after installing it have a resonator installed.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM

i don't mean to sound bias on the fart cannons, i do actually understand the benefits of running a straight through exhaust if you are running something like NOS. i just hate the sounds of them or at least the ones around here.
that being said the magnaflow looks like a fart cannon but i gotta admit that one sounded the best outta the sound clips in my opinion.
im gonna guess from the popping sound of it the removed middle box was a straight pipe essentially where they removed the muffler since it since it is located about in the center of the car.
i think the reason i'm partial to the thrush muffler is i've run them on a couple different motors over the years, a 4.3 and a couple 4 cylinder cars and the produce a nice deep throaty sound outta all of them, problem is though is that they are so friggen big.
thanks for the links and responses both of you i appreciate it.
tech that is a beautiful exhaust system i'm just not looking to spend that kinda money. mainly due to the fact unlike most guys im honestly not looking to make my volvo faster(i'm actually pretty happy with how it is right now) i just have a thing for my toys sounding good. my last toy (a bagged and kitted 97 breeze with 2.0 auto) was slow as hell but had an intake and turbo 2 muffler with a resonator tip and sounded like i was going like a bat outta hell at WOT but i personally felt i should stick my foot outta the door to get it going lol

Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM

I found a clip of what the OBX system sounds like, and damn, I gotta say it sounds sweet. Hope you enjoy!

OBX Exhaust - Volvo S70 T5 - YouTube

Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cactuslegs
I found a clip of what the OBX system sounds like, and damn, I gotta say it sounds sweet. Hope you enjoy!

OBX Exhaust - Volvo S70 T5 - YouTube
Maybe i don't have the ear for it but I think it sounds very similar to having a straight pipe from cat back.

That is all I did to mine, remove the muffler and place in a piece of straight pipe. Has worked well for me. But the OP said no straight pipes lol

Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Here is 2 clips of my car. I have a dyno max going to dual tailpipes.
Picture092.mp4 video by mustang8719 - Photobucket

DynorunYellow.mp4 video by mustang8719 - Photobucket

And this is a pic of my setup.
Name:  Picture082.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  101.9 KB

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mooman333
Maybe i don't have the ear for it but I think it sounds very similar to having a straight pipe from cat back.

That is all I did to mine, remove the muffler and place in a piece of straight pipe. Has worked well for me. But the OP said no straight pipes lol
yeah sadly i agree moonman it does kinda sound the same as straight pipe.
i've tried the straight pipe method on both v6 and 4 cyl motors and also a 750 cc newer v-twin motorcycle motor and just not happy with the results.
to me it just has too raspy of a sound and i really hate that deceleration pop.
tech your car sounds nice and deep and mean kinda like what i'm looking for, the question is could i get even close to that just replacing the muffler with a dyno max? the other question is are you running an intake or a stock box? ive found on past vehicles an intake makes a hell of a difference in the sound of a motor.i'm not looking to do more than maybe a k&n filter in the stock box.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

I ran both with the exhaust setup. Stock air box and euro sports cold air intake. The exhaust sounded the same with both.

If you just put the muffler in it might be a little quieter than mine. I am catless on my car. So it a little louder.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tech
I ran both with the exhaust setup. Stock air box and euro sports cold air intake. The exhaust sounded the same with both.

If you just put the muffler in it might be a little quieter than mine. I am catless on my car. So it a little louder.
i'm surprised there was no difference in tone on the volvo 5 cylinder between a stock intake and a CIA. i've put them on after adding at the time a cheapy turbo 2 muffler and on a 95 and a 98 2.0 Chrysler motor there was a big difference in the sound. it got alot more throaty sounding.
sounds good to me on it might be a bit quieter. basically my preferred kinda sound is like my GP with a getting old stock exhaust, very quiet at warm idle but when you open it up a bit you can hear it.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Mine starts sounding real nasty at WOT full boost. It kind of almost sounds like a jet engine. It turns into almost a straight WOSHHHHHHHH sound.

Some have said it almost sounds like a Noen SRT4 but i really don't.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Mine starts sounding real nasty at WOT full boost. It kind of almost sounds like a jet engine. It turns into almost a straight WOSHHHHHHHH sound.

Some have said it almost sounds like a Noen SRT4 but i really don't.
maybe with just replacing the muffler only it will sound less nasty at WOT. i quess im the harder person to please on sound i don't want real loud, but i want something enough especially under harder acceleration to declare the power i guess.
believe it or not i had a guy at work say 1 day that "grandma wants her car back"when we were leaving after our shift

Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator

It might give it a shot and see.