Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Had to manually close top

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to manually close top

I had to do a quick repair to a tear in the headliner of my 2011 C70 yesterday. To access the headliner I opened the top halfway. The repair took about 5 minutes. When I got back in the drivers seat to close the roof the TOP MALFUNCTION warning appeared. I tried clearing the code by pushing the button down then holding the button up for 5 seconds - which cleared the warning until I tried to close the roof. Then the TOP MALFUNCTION warning appeared. My car is in an outdoor parking lot and bad weather was coming so a buddy of mine an I found the manual close procedure online and were able to close the roof (manually.)

What do I do now? Is there a reset procedure to get the tp to work again?

Any help would be appreciated. I was actually planning on selling the car this weekend so this is maddeningly frustrating.

Car has about 72,000 miles.

THANKS! ~Rich

Old 02-16-2022, 01:32 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know much about the C70 or convertibles, but did you try to do the reset and then continue opening it instead of trying to close it ? Maybe it doesn't like starting one operation and then trying to do another without finishing the first.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:31 PM

I don't have a MKII but there is a dealer tool for the MKI which is needed to reset or reprogram it. I imagine this is true of the MKII, so I'd say you either need the DiCE tool or possibly a special roof tool to reset the code.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 28CarsLater
I don't have a MKII but there is a dealer tool for the MKI which is needed to reset or reprogram it. I imagine this is true of the MKII, so I'd say you either need the DiCE tool or possibly a special roof tool to reset the code.
You're correct. Although I was able to reset the hydraulic pump, I had to take the C70 to a local Volvo mechanic who had to clear the codes.
Decided to sell the car after the top was fixed. Although it had relatively low miles, the maintenance costs over the past two years of ownership were just out of this world.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moonk9
Although it had relatively low miles, the maintenance costs over the past two years of ownership were just out of this world.
I've run into a lot of headaches and a lot of money out as well, but mine is so clean its [probably] worth it. Including the used factory windscreen I sourced from the UK, I think I'm sitting 7 in mine now soon to be a bit more, but I see what I know is junk retailing for around that price. If I ever came across a MKII as clean with similar issues for the right money I'd probably consider it... or perhaps not based on your feedback.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 28CarsLater
So thinking back over my close to 2-years and less than 5000 miles of ownership, which is a bit painful considering the money and time, I had the following maintenance and repairs items:
  • 4 new tires
  • New mass airflow sensor
  • fuel pressure sensor
  • New battery
  • All new tpms on all wheels
  • Ac leak, repaired and recharged
  • New plugs (voluntary)
  • Another new battery
  • Recharge ac again
  • PCV failure, oil housing replacement
  • New control arms
  • New motor mounts
  • Brakes, rotors, and calipers
  • Two new front tires because mechanic didn’t align after control arm replacement
  • Alignment

Then when the top stuck half way open, that was it. I was done.

Now driving a late model Honda Civic that just turned 12k miles. Not as fun as the C70 drop top but far less worries in regards to maintenance and repairs.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:06 PM

Yikes, thanks for sharing - here I thought the P1s were supposed to be a big improvement. My MKI also needed recharged, the evap unit on the P80 is crap and gets holes in it over time (or so I was told). The batteries, PCV, MAF and other sensors aside, much of that is standard old car stuff. You probably had a draw on the battery and generally speaking my MKI is a hog and gets mad when its disconnected from a power source. I hope you enjoy your Honda, I'm a fan of the older Hondas myself. I'll keep my eye out for problem child MKIIs on the cheap as ***some*** of those issues I can fix myself.