Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Just bought my first C70, I need help!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first C70, I need help!

**02' Volvo C70 HT Turbo Convertible 90K miles**

Hi everyone, I'm new here! Go easy on me! I also apologize in advance for asking so many questions in one post. I was hoping maybe different people could answer different things and Instead of posting multiple threads, I could knock it out in one! I have been eying these cars since I can remember and over the last couple of months, I finally broke down and started looking for one. That was the hardest job I ever had. The ones I found were extremely ragged out or extremely overpriced. I finally found mine online about 3 hours away. After negotiating on the phone for 3 days, I drove there and picked her up.

No no, Im sorry, the hardest part was finding one without the seats being shredded to death. Volvo had a hard time finding quality leather I'm guessing. The one I purchased has minimal stress on the seats. Thank GOD.

Before I go on let me add, It still blows my mind all the reviews I read about how they needed "more horses" under the hood. Maybe its cause I found a turbo, the thing is beyond fast. Shame on all you complainers.

Heres where I need the help! There are a few things I really want to get fixed that are bugging me to death and I was really hoping to get some advice on them.

Heres my biggest issues that are driving me nuts:

My woodgrain is destroyed on the glove box. I saw this in alot of the other cars I drove as well. I found alot of companies online that have the replica adhesive woodgrain. these run about 200 bucks for the kit. Has anyone tried them, do they work? Any thoughts would be great.

The car feels like a dump truck hitting a brick wall over every little bump I drive over (on the highway its smooth sailing). I can feel the car actually "twist" when it hits bumps. It feels like it has no shock/struts (Im a mechanical moron). I know nothing about cars. Could this be the case on a 2002?? I hit a minor bump yesterday and it twisted the car and actually put a TINY crack in the glass/plastic that goes to my speedometer. I know this cant be normal! Does anyone have a solution?

The long thin strip of dashboard closest to the windshield that also houses the red LED light for the security system is crack in a million spots and in the spot around the LED its actually gone. It cracked a perfect square and broke off. I noticed this was the case on a 2004 Volvo I drove as well. In fact I also noticed it on a 2001 volvo too. I read that stress from driving a convertible and not having a "hard top" leads to dash board cracks, "twisting". Well thats fine and dandy but it looks HORRIBLE. I have googled like crazy trying to find a replacement dash for this (which is how I found this forum) and no luck. In fact, unless I missed it, I cant find where anybody even made a thread about this. I guess I'm the only picky one out there. This looks like it would be a super easy fix. Can anybody help me with this, please?? Can somebody guess what the cost would be to have it fixed? Should I just go driving around to body shops?
More importantly, If this piece had a "name" I could call around and try to find it! Help!

Last: When I have the prologic setting on the radio on, it sometimes blows you away but then when a commercial comes on the voices sound really weird and fuzzy. Then the voices sound normal, then they sound like crap. Its at different speeds too. I cant figure it out. If something was blown, wouldnt it do this with no matter what your listening to? I red somewhere that the car knows when the top is down and changes your radio setting? Am I really an idiot and this is something like a button I need to push to make it all sound good? Anybody else experience this?

so far Im proud of her, its a beautiful car. Im just waiting for my power seats to go out. It seems like its not a true Volvo unless this happens.

Oddly tho, every single option is this car works right now. The window switch is "starting" to feel like it could break one day but as of now it works (which reminds me, does everyone's windows buttons turn gooey and weird feeling, kinda like they are melting)??. I'm almost scared to drive the damn thing just so it stays out of the shop!

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Ouch, I stand corrected. I took the Volvo thru a rainstorm tonight and accidentally activated the windshield wiper spray which in turn activated my headlight wipers. The drivers side headlight wiper stayed in the upright position. After some googling I found the simple way to loosen the arm via a bolt under the little rubber flap and manually lower it. Now it just stays in the down position. SIMPLE FIX!! Thanks to the forums, I probably saved myself a bundle.

If anyone knows a simple fuse to pull to actually turn these wipers off, I would be appreciative!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Look near the headlight area there should be a brown color plug on each side. That should be for the wiper motors unplug them and leave it like that.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM

For the bumps, I drive the 2001 coupe on 17" rims.... to solve the problem i tend to drive around bumps.
The plastic thing on dash, I dont know where you can get a replacement, but, it is where the sensors for A/C and climate control are, so they might not be working properly while there is no cover on it
Window swithces... not as excessive as u describe but kinda warped or expanded feeling to them

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plastic dash mounts break on both the coupes and convertibles. You can use the dash from other models since it is not specific to the C. You need both the lower dash and upper dash pad.

Suspension needs redone, mine rides well.

Wood kits are typically junk. Just get the pieces you need used or a JY. Trim from your local dealer is pricey.

A high quality vinyl such as 3M Di Noc will give you a nice finish.

Speed controlled volume, can't recall which button turns it off, probably in the manual.

Yes they turn gooey. Controls are covered in a rubberized paint, which can be removed and you can dye or paint it for a different look. This is on the buttons, and even on the switch blanks they use.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 AM

"I hit a minor bump yesterday and it twisted the car and actually put a TINY crack in the glass/plastic that goes to my speedometer. I know this cant be normal! Does anyone have a solution?"

Koni FSD's are superexpensive but are supposed to fix this problem. The upper strut mounts are probably toast by now, you'll need to replace them, too.

I installed a strut brace on my C recently, and it's a different car. Try this one, you can install it yourself with simple tools. It will bring your cowl issues to a halt.

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-S70-su

'Am also looking for new end links that aren't factory.... everyone seems to be out of stock on the heavy duty ones. The factory ones are inadequate, the front ends on the 70 series are just too heavy. This will correct the sloppy tracking/steering.

http://www.volvomotorsports.com/cata...products_id=89