Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

possible lifter noise @ T/Belt change

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible lifter noise @ T/Belt change

I have a 99 V70 wagon 2.4L with no VVT. While changing the belt the exhaust came shaft moved CCW I believe and I turned it back CW to the index marks. Did not have to remove crank pulley so that moving was not an issue. Put it all together with all index marks lined up. Adjusted the new tensioner and rotated to check for binding and all was good. Left car on jacks to start and make sure all was good and immediately started hearing what sounded like a lifter tapping. I just changed the oil yesterday and drove car around to check out the newly replaced front struts and everything was very quiet in the engine. Can the lifters be hurt because the exhaust cam went ccw 3 or 4 teeth?

It just seems like I screwed something up because there was no noise before. I will check oil pressure but I would like other opinions on whether or not the exhaust cam moving inadvertently would cause this problem or hurt the engine? Also noticed on numerous readjustments that after 2 rotations the tensioner is never exactly where I put it. Even after pushing in on belt and observing tensioner movement it would never be where I put it. Is this typical?

Thanks for the help in advance!