Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Something is draining the battery... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is draining the battery... Help!

Have a problem: 2004 C70 has a battery that keeps on dying. It's the girlfriend's car and I haven't had a chance to get in there and poke around, but, it already sounds fishy to me... The battery keeps dying, at random intervals. Over the last week it has happened about three times. The first time it happened, she hadn't driven the car for about 48 hours. The next time, about 24 hours, and the last time was within 15 minutes of shutting the car off. It enough for me to to deem it sporadic, especially since in between the first and second times, the car had no problems (i.e. car died, got jumped, then started repeatedly for days before dying again).

As far as I can tell, something is killing the new (replaced last month) battery at random.

Once I can get my hands on it, I plan on poking around with a voltage meter to look for obvious voltage loss when the car is off, but I'd love some other theories from you guys... Also, the "service" light come on after the last time it was jumped. I'm gonna grab an OBD II and see if the computer wants to tell me something, but I'm not optimistic on that one.

Thanks all!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Something is draining the battery... Help!

OK if it totally dies after only 15 minutes then I would check the battery connections and the starter connection.

Even if you were running a big screen TV through a converter I cannot see the car being dead after only 15 minutes.
Sounds more like a bad connection somewhere.

The service light is an oil change reminder light. Follow link to learn how to reset it.

https://volvoforums.com/m_3418/tm.htm

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks Tech! I read all your posts about parasitic drain too, so I'm going to look into that, but you're right that 15 minutes most likely means something else is going on here. I'll update after I get a chance to poke around.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds good!! Good luck

Also for kicks if it is a Convertible check the sunvisiors. They tend to break and leave the light on.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM

UPDATE: My first thought was that it had to be a ground issue. Turns out, that wasn't the case. The latest report is that while a friend was driving it, the AC stayed on. After an hour or two, they came back and the AC was still on. Obviously, this is where the drain is taking place, but now the question is, how do we determine the fault? I'm thinking that a faulty relay could be the issue, but I'm more inclined to think that the fault lies in the ignition. Maybe the switch isn't getting all the way back to 0, and sticking on accessory?

Thoughts? Is there a notorious problem I should know about?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Battery Draining

I have an '02 C70 convertible that is doing the same thing. I left for a conference (4 days) and the battery was completely dead. The battery was original so I replaced it. New battery keeps draing over time as well. My mechanic put it on VADIS and there were a couple of intermittent codes for the top. It was still drawing current when the car was off.
His solution was to put the parking brake on, push the 'top close' button until I get the tone, and then shut off the car.
I let the car sit for two days and haven't had a draining issue yet. I am also looking to replace the car ... give it to my son (17). Don't really want to let the car sit for aweek and try to start it with no success. It seems to be fine if I drive it regularly.
Sorry if this isn't related, but you might check with VADIS. If yu find an issue, let me know the fix.
Thanx.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Ok guys, I had the same problem. There is a short in the sun visor mirror that allows the mirror light to stay on and drain the battery. I know, it sounds to crazy to be true, but I have 3 friends with the same car and this simple fix worked for all of us. You have to either disconnect the fuse to the mirror light or take it in and have it done. Hope this helps, it has worked for everyone else that was having this same problem.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 PM
C70

Had the same problem a few months ago, replaced my battery, problem solved.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:20 AM

OMG, SAME THING. 2004 C70 Convertible. I am going to check that sun visor (drivers is broken at the little hook, not sure if the light is on or not (I think there is an on off switch). I had a fairly new battery (2000 miles), and they told me it was the alternator. Changed that out, took it back to battery - they said, yes, it's bad, new battery.

But, same thing, If I drive it every day (2 days), fine. If I don't drive 4 or 5 days DEAD. The battery peeps did say (the second time, BEFORE the alternator $500, that it was bad, said it was good the first time. I don't know how to check all these power things, maybe other than the visors. Anyone know where to start -- after that? I believe that due that put in the alternator should do these tests for free! Thanks for any help! (I do love this car . . . :( ) ~sherrie

Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

If you have a volt-ohm meter (VOM) you can test for current draw at the fuse with the key off. Accessories like glove box lights (another thing to check) mirror lights etc can be mapped to their fuse and should be zero draw with the key off.

Note - AntiSD: start a new thread as an AC staying on is not a parasitic drain issue. As noted could be a relay, ignition switch etc. Also check the S70 boards for similar.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Default C70 Convertible battery drain

Holy cow . . . an alternator and a new battery later, OMG, THE VISOR LIGHT IS ON! The drivers never came on and I just assumed it was burned out (bought used). I read this here and went out to check the passenger. Could NOT tell.

Last night, in the car (had just been jumped the day before -- had to drive, at least, every other day or dead), my daughter was able to look from the BOTTOM -- LOOKING UP. Sure enough!! It was on! This little light can do this???

I have a ford F250 Excursion (2000) with 7 charging ports that are on and the kids use the all with the car off. TV's, Iphones, you name it. NOTHING has ever drained the battery. This little light drained a brand new (3 days, 30+/- miles)???

I am stumped. I am also stumped on how to get the cover off to pull the darn bulb, or whatever. Is this enough to drain this car? The charging ports don't even run with the car off (a pain).

Any comments??

Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 AM
Default Battery Draining! Solved!

Okay, $500, a new alternator, new battery, I found that the vanity mirror light was ON. Just out of tidying[HTML] up while sitting in a drive-thru, I pulled it down and shut the little sliding door, WENT OFF.

Driver's side was always out and I assumed burned out. But the visor is broken at the connection.

So, if you have this problem - MAKE SURE THE SLIDING GADGETS ARE CLOSED ON THE LITTLE MIRRORS! I have been that is enough to drain the battery after many days on. That was the mystery. IF I drove every day. No problems. IF I did not drive it, say 4 days . . . DEAD!

I would love feedback,