Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Is something wrong here

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong here

I started up my C after work let it warm up alittle, placed it in drive it went into gear and then I felt another bump like it went into gear again.

It doesnt do it in reverse just going into drive. Any possible thought on what it might be?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Default RE: Is something wrong here

it could be the the mounts that stablize the forward/backward torque of the engine. you know the one on top and there is one on the lower rear of the tranny. mine makes the same noise.

to check just open the hood, have someone put it in gear and hold the brake while giving it a lil gas to see how much the engine/ tranny moves and if you hear a noise.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM

The mounts have come to mind, I had the top one replaced just after I got the car. Ill have to check the lower tomorrow.

I saw this posted elsewhere I think its similar

"TNN43-38-2006-02-09 Title: AW55 Neutral Control Function
A function called ‘Neutral Control’ is present on all 2001 V70 and S60 cars. It is also present on 2002 non-turbo V70 and S60 cars built before January 2002. When the vehicle comes to a stop, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) activates Neutral Control. Even though the gear selector is in the Drive position, a Neutral condition is engaged hydraulically in the transmission. Neutral Control disengages when the brake pedal is released or the throttle is applied.

When the neutral control function is incorrect, there are three symptoms that can be felt in the car:
1. After coming to a complete stop and keeping the brakes applied, a "thump" can be felt in the car. It is felt about 2 seconds after coming to a stop.
2. When releasing the brake there is a harsh or double re-engagement of drive.
3. When idling in 'D' range with the brake applied, the engine speed oscillates (fluctuates).
"

Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM

My 2003 c70 does the same thing and my mounts were bad had them replaced but still doing it. Could it need a trans service and if so hows the best way to do that on these cars. New to the newer volvo world..

Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a few years Volvo incorporated a rather poorly designed feature in the autos that allowed the transmission to shift into neutral when the vehicle was for instance, stopped at a traffic signal. When you pressed on the accelerator there would be a "clunk" as the trans shifted into drive. Volvo received innumerable complaints and discontinued this 'feature'. I believe however that Volvo issued a software fix that would not allow the vehicle to shift into neutral. Perhaps you might look into that issue as that could be the cause of your concerns. I am supposing that you have not had your c70 for long and therefore what you are experiencing is not 'new' concern.

r.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

have only had it about a month now love the way it drives but the clunk is rather annoying had it back to the dealer once already found to mounts bad replaced them but obviously did not fix problem. they did not even address the clunk issue so i guess it has to go back again...