Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Thinking about buying a C70, need some honest advise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a C70, need some honest advise.

Hi guys, feel like asking this is kinda wrong, but the situation sucks.
So here is a little about me, I just crashed my car (sleeping behind the wheel can cause problems) and i need to get a new one ASAP, i have little time to hunt for deals, and brand new and even lease is leaving me with little left over. But to make a long story short, i got about 7k to spend, and I need a car before friday, by the end of this weekend is the latest.

So I was shoping around, and Volvo was sorta out of my mind because I thought them to be too expencive and too long (I got real bad parking in my building), but just for the kicks I tried a search and came up with two Volvo's C70, both are blue, both have less then 90k miles on them, both are fully loaded, one is a 99 another is an 01.
the 2001 is a dealer (not volvo certified dealer) and it just had the timing belt changed, he is asking 7 grand for it
the 99 has a privite owner, who is the first owner of the car, she said it has only been serviced on the Volvo dealership, and the only reason she is selling it is because she got a new car for her birthday. It has new breaks, new tires and new battery. (i figued this car wasn't used hard since she didn't even know weather it was a 4wd or a front wheel drive, all she said was she knows it has a turbo) asking 6 grand

Now I just finished University, and don't have a lot of money to spend on a car, after I buy it.
Based on your experiences should I go for the C70?
Just how bad is that turning radius?
What should I expect besides the timingbelt?
How reliable is this car?

Answers to those questions, personal opinions, advise and suggestions are welcome and would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance and nice to be here.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Default RE: Thinking about buying a C70, need some honest advise.

That sounds fair ifa bit on the expensive side. I sold my c70 a few months ago for just under £3000. It had new brakes, new cambelt and was mint condition in silver with 120k miles, having said that I paid a lot more than that for itwith 110k on the clock. In other words, you should be getting a good one for that money.

A bit like yourself I'm a student so a volvo was a bit of an experiment for me, I had mine 9 months and loved it so much I just bought an 08 S40 T5. The c70 was definately more comfortable and smoother but they're definately both an awesome car, particularly if you spend quite a lot of time in them.

The turning radius isnt fantastic, especially if you're used to short cars but you'll soon get used to it, it's good enough to get in and out of most confined spaces. Like all volvos they're generally very reliable - it's a bit biased when you look at a forum as you only tend to see the problems rather than the pros, so bear that in mind. Not sure what to look for, other than have a test drive and check it all feels tight and I would try to get a fresh MOT before you buy also.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think either one would be good. The timing belt has been changed on the $7K one so that is a plus but the older one is cheaper and the timing belt could probably be changed for less than $1K. I would probably try to get the 99 but for a little less. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Actually a 99 C70 with 90K miles in "good" condition on KBB is priced at $8,500. When I read this thread I was having trouble understanding why people was saying the price was high so I looked it up on kbb.com. The 2001 model is worth around $10,000. Both sound like good deals to me.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM

The deals are fine. I'm just asking is it a low maintenance car or is it expensive to maintain? I mean I heard that parts are much more expensive if something goes wrong compared to Japanese or American cars. I can afford to buy a car, but would I be able to afford keeping it?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

They are definitely more expensive to maintain although not by a huge margin, but you get what you pay for. They are safer and genuinely better cars that are way more fun to drive. When I have had Japanese and American cars sitting there and my Volvo sitting there when I leave in the morning, 90% of the time I drive the Volvo. So I sold all my other cars and only have Volvos now. If you are into doing mechanical work yourself, you will save quite a bit of the maintenance money. In general any European car will cost more to own, but Volvos are probably one of the least expensive of the Euro cars. For instance a Mercedes will be about twice as much as a Volvo. BMWs are about the same as a Volvo, probably a little more in some areas and a little less in others.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM

If the book values of the cars are as stated then they are good deals or there are other problems.
Owning a 2000 model myself there are a few things I would check immediately on both cars.

Convertible top, if it is still original look VERY closely at the back window. If the seal is wrinkled, is gapped slightly, or appears to have some kind of ooze, it is ready to fail or has already been repaired. Reglueing windows is atemporary fix, no idea how long it will last. New top $2000 +.

Windows, especially doors, are a known weak spot. If they hesitate, stick or won't go up firm enough to seal (leaking or excessive whistling while driving) the regulators are going. $900. + ea.

The timing belt is a major service due around 100,000 mi. you already addressed this. $700. +-

Good Luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I was assuming both these cars were coupes.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM

My bad, I see so few coupes I tend to forget.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM

When getting ready to negotiate on the price you should check out the pricing on Edmunds.com. KBB pricing is more seller-oriented and you will almost always get a significantly lower price calculation from Edmunds. If nothing else it will help to counteract the seller's arguments.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 PM

Edmunds pricing should not be relied upon in any purchase from a dealer as they generally use NADA pricing exclusively. Edmunds and KBB pricing is a fairly good estimate for a private party sale.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:44 AM

I own a 1998 turbo C70 coupe with 130,000 miles yes when there is a problem if you are not a do it your self kind of person it is expensive to fix if somthing goes wrong.. but I have had mine for like 4 years and have had no problems i just keep up with basic mant.. and i also do it my self. they are very reliable but can be pricey if you mess somthing up. Very fun to drive i love it and i never want to get rid of it. I love the sporty car that has no problem flying by people and the luxury with it. If you are worried about the cost of mantnince I would tell them that you will buy the car form the dealer if they throw in a warrenty. haggle with them for a warrenty you may be better off and feel safer about the buy! GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW THE OUTCOME!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM

are you still looking?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/car/625951498.html