Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Why won't my car reverse up this steep hill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why won't my car reverse up this steep hill?

I just bought a 2001 c70 convertible at auction. I had to get a chip key made ($225) just to turn it on. First thing, it leaks radiator fluid, cracked radiator. Then, on the way home, hilly San fran, it loses almost all power going up bills. It runs rough, and check engine light flashes or is on. Now, 2 days later,, I'm trying to repark it and can't get it to back up. I noticed it was having a hard time reversing up the steep hill when I wss parking it, but didn't guess it wss just not going to work at all. It seems like it's probably the transmission as well as who knows... any ideas on what to try. I'm thinking I'd like to get a diagnosis, but don't know where to take it. I am a 58 y.o grandma and don't want to get ripped off if it just needs tranny fluid or something like a sensor. I've never had a car with a lot of computer stuff before. I don't know how to repair cars, but I'm not opposed to learning... just thought I'd say ... thanks, for anyone out there who may have any advice.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

It's misfiring. You need to get that fixed first, in my opinion. Once that is fixed, you'll have enough power to reverse up hills in my opinion, and eventually I think you will conclude there wasn't anything wrong with the transmission. I like to work on one thing at a time. If I'm wrong, no harm done.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM

I don't think I explained very well. The car seems to have a hard time shifting, just occasionally. But this lack of poorer I believe is coming from transmission. It's not misfiring. It feels like it's slipping or not engaging in its gear. Like when going up hills it seems it's the transmission not working right, reason it won't go. When i wss backing it up, parking it was floored and barely backed up. When i went out to drive it next it wouldn't back up at all. It's on a very steep hill.i have no owners manual, I don't even know how to put the top down to see if that works. The car has only 66,000 miles on it. So if i can afford to fix it I'm hoping it can be a good car. I would like to find out why check engine light is on. It does run rough, but I don't know if it's misfiring. It's not explosive like backfires. Anyone know who i could take it to in san Francisco for diagnosis that is honest. I've been reading that AAMCO is bad. What about firestone or any of the transmission shops offering free diagnosis? Are they trustworthy? I don't even think I'm going to be able to drive it unless i can pull forward only, no backing up out of this space. Does anyone know how to check the transmission fluid in this car? The radiator is cracked, does that have anything to do with pressure or it running roughly?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

It is misfiring. Feel free to have the codes read that the check engine light set. It's probably coils (easy and cheap to replace), but there's no sense trying to diagnose it online, as it's not a difficult thing to address for your local mechanic.

I am confused why you are fighting against this good news. I am telling you to stay away from the transmission shop for now, and invest in a cheap solution to a critical problem (the misfiring). Meanwhile you are saying "oh I am so worried the transmission shop will rip me off". Seems like you'd be happy.

Answering questions online is frustrating at times. Nobody listens.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Default You were right!

I took it to run free dianostic test at auto zone, codes were PO300 (RANDOM Misfire detected)
And P0014 (exhaust camshaft position timing- over- advanced (bank 1)
So it ISN'T the transmission which I was so sure it was. Thank the universe . And so sorry for not listening. I can't believe you knew that and you weren't even the one driving the car. I bought plugs and wires, but maybe it's not even that as you said. Is it hard to put in the plugs and wires? Maybe I can just do it myself. This mobile mechanic charges $200 just for that. I don't even know how to open the top (or even the hood for that matter). Where's a good place to get as owners manual? Maybe I'll be able to keep this pretty car after all. Thanks for your right on advice!!!××0000

Old 07-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Default You were right!

I took it to run free dianostic test at auto zone, codes were PO300 (RANDOM Misfire detected)
And P0014 (exhaust camshaft position timing- over- advanced (bank 1)
So it ISN'T the transmission which I was so sure it was. Thank the universe . And so sorry for not listening. I can't believe you knew that and you weren't even the one driving the car. I bought plugs and wires, but maybe it's not even that as you said. Is it hard to put in the plugs and wires? Maybe I can just do it myself. This mobile mechanic charges $200 just for that. I don't even know how to open the top (or even the hood for that matter). Where's a good place to get as owners manual? Maybe I'll be able to keep this pretty car after all. On the dash there are a couple other things lit up, but i don't know what they mean. One looks like a sort Of light bulb, circle with little lines around it, And the other looks like windshield wipers .Thanks for your right on advice!!!××0000

Old 07-23-2017, 08:19 PM

I changed the spark plugs, it still runs rough. A couple of them smelled like gasoline when I removed them. What are coils? Does anyone know how I can get an owners manual for my car?