Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

'01 S40 7 codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 S40 7 codes

hey everyone !!! I have a '01 S40 with a bunch of problems. I have like 7 codes....
- P0505 Idle air control system. this code apear twice on my scaner
- P0130 O2 circuit (bank 1 sensor) this code apear twice as well on my scaner
- cylinder3 misfire detected
- P0014 exhaust camshaft position timing - over - advenced (bank1)
- system too lean.
The car still runs pritty good, gets good milage, but i can't pass smog test. Was involved in a small accident in the upper front side. I had to replace the inter cooler. The lady who i purchased from said the car was just fine before. And also the service light come on as soon as i start the engine. Sometimes it will stay for a few minutes, or it will turn off in a few seconds.
Does enyone have any ideea, suggestion? It'll help enything.
Thanks so much !!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned some codes are in there twice. Are some of them pending codes? Sometimes you have a pending code (P0xxx P) and the same one as full code (P0xxx). You can treat them as one.

I would start with the cylinder misfire, it could cause a lot of the other codes. Check the condition of the spark plugs, especially cylinder 3. Also check the condition of the wires and coils, again especially cylinder 3. If they look too worn, have cracks or heat damage, replace them. When was the last tune up done?

I had 17 codes on my 2000 S40, among them P0300 (random misfire). I had noticed the coil boot had a crack so I replaced both coils and the wires (aftermarket parts, altogether ~$90). I am now down to 2 codes, p0130 for the O2 sensor and P0650 for the MIL malfunctioning which has nothing to do with the above problems.

I also had P0014 and I had a defective fuel pressure regulator. Does your car crank a lot after it has been sitting for a while? Mine did that and it was the above mentioned regulator. According to other forum entries the long cranking time could be interpreted by the engine as too low idle speed which it tries to correct by adjusting the variable valve timing. This is going to cause error P0013 or P0014 since the engine is not actually running yet. (I hope I understood that right and described it right ).

For the Idle Air Control code, I would first take the IAC (Idle air control) valve off and clean it. You can test it (check youtube, you'll find tons of videos on how to test an IAC) and if it works ok put it back in with a new gasket. The gasket only costs a few bucks.

PS: how many miles does the car have?

I hope this gives you a starting point.

I hope that gives you a good starting point.