Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 S40 engine won't turn over but lights turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S40 engine won't turn over but lights turn on

I've had a minor issue with my ignition since I got the car, specifically the key sometimes doesn't come out when I turn the car off. That hasn't really been a problem for me, but yesterday when I tried starting my car, only the lights turned on (headlights, dash lights, interior lights) and it felt like the ignition had molasses in it. The igniton won't turn with the same ease it used to, almost like how turning a steering wheel feels when you run out of power steering. The engine didn't make any noises - no clicking, just silence. Obviously it's not an issue with the battery if all my lights turn on, but my car knowledge is limited beyond that. Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Old 12-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by zackmarshall69
I tried starting my car, only the lights turned on (headlights, dash lights, interior lights) and it felt like the ignition had molasses in it. The igniton won't turn with the same ease it used to,
Sometimes the mechanical portion of the steering column lock goes bad and prevents the key from being turned into the start position. Fortunately on a 2000 s40 the key tumbler is removable and reusable unlike most other Volvos where the tumbler does not come out. So you only have to purchase the column lock - other Volvos you have to order a new column lock with a tumbler installed, with the tumbler precut to match you key. To verify that the mechanical portion is bad - you can remove the plastic cover around the steering column and take the electrical portion of the ignition switch off (2 screws, on the left side) - then use a screwdriver to turn the electrical portion of the ignition switch (instead of using the key) to start the car. .

That steering column lock is held on with security bolts - the bolt heads break off when tightened - and are a little more difficult than other Volvos to get out to be able to replace the steering column lock. One method I used was to drill through the bolts from the front, cutting the bolts in half - to be able to release the column lock.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have a 2004 S40 (New body model). I am having the issue where as described above. I receive the "Steering wheel Locked. Try again" message when I try and start the car. It is definitely the SCL (steering column lock). I have managed to get the 2 bolts out of the SCL but I cannot get the SCL to release from the column. Every video I have seen of this fix, once the bolts are out the SCL just comes right out. Is there something different with the 2004 S40 SCL and how to remove it??