Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 Volvo S40 Had Idle Problem, Fixed, Now Has No Power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Volvo S40 Had Idle Problem, Fixed, Now Has No Power!

Hello Volvo Forums! I'm Matt and I'm new here. I have a 2000 Volvo S40 1.9T A/T with 131k Miles on it. I purchased the car with it having an idling problem. After some research on here I figured out that my problem was the idle air control valve was dirty. I took it off and cleaned it out with carb cleaner, a lot of gunk came out! I put it back together and started the car and it idled rough for a few seconds and then idled perfect! Drove the car around and it was driving flawlessly! Under moderate acceleration to a heavy stop the car did not die and idled great! Service engine light went off too without me clearing it! Very happy!

The car sat for 2 days and I went to start it today. It took a few cranks to start up but I do know that the battery is weak so I didn't think anything of it. It starts and idles fine but the check engine light, service engine light, and an arrow pointing up and flashing are on. I revved the car a little in park and it seemed fine until I put it in drive. The car has barely any power! While floored it feels like I'm driving into 70mph winds. I checked the codes but don't remember what they are but there were 5 of them. I can list the codes tomorrow if necessary.

I have NO idea what happened! The car was doing perfect and sat for 2 days and is now a big pos! I don't know if I have to clean the IAC Valve again or if some of the carb cleaner went into the turbo and blew the turbo or something I have no idea! Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the car out for any indicative stored fault codes.
The flashing yellow arrow indicates transmission limp mode.
Could be shift solenoid issues??

Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your battery voltage. A weak or bad battery can cause all sorts of issues. Volvos do not like low voltage at all.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This ^.

Fix the basics first. If it's got a bad or undercharged battery the systems can't function properly. Might speed things along by getting a code reader from your local auto parts store that can clear OBDII codes. Once cleared you might be back in business.

BTW, while you're fooling with the idle air valve, inspect the hose right next to it that runs from the intercooler to a port right by the idle air valve. I just replaced it on my GF's V40. the hose was dry rotted and hadn't been connected in thousands of miles. If it's severed the idle air valve not only draws in unfiltered air, the turbo pressure blows right out the open hose. Hose is about 8 inches long, $13.00 on Ebay. To get by while waiting for the new one to be delivered I atched it with duct tape. Quack, quack! Worked.