Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2002 S40 - interference engine or non-interference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S40 - interference engine or non-interference?

Is the 2002 S40 an interference or non-interference engine? I've read it was interference but I just wanted to verify.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM

100% Interference.

Very important to keep your timing belt changed. Also a good idea to open the TB cover and check for oil leaks in there every so often.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Livens
100% Interference.

Very important to keep your timing belt changed. Also a good idea to open the TB cover and check for oil leaks in there every so often.
Thank you for the confirmation. Yeah, I just discovered this last night, and now I'm worried about my timing belt. I have about 129,000 right now. I bought the car used about 18 months ago, and as of then, the carfax didn't report any timing belt replacement, though there were many other maintenance visits. I can't remember now but I thought the car sales guy told me the timing belt had been replaced before it went up for sale, but I cannot find any dated sticker indicating this on the timing belt cover or anywhere else under the hood. So now this is a priority if I can't confirm it had been replaced. I guess there's no other way to tell if it has been replaced then?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM

The only thing I could think of is to look closely at the label on the timing belt itself. If it has the original belt the 'Volvo' and other text printed on the belt should be pretty faded. If it had been changed with the last 30k it should still look pretty new.

Any doubts and I would change it personally. Too many horror stories on here and elsewhere about slipped TB's and bent valves, cracked pistons... <shivers>

Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM

The only thing I could think of is to look closely at the label on the timing belt itself. If it has the original belt the 'Volvo' and other text printed on the belt should be pretty faded. If it had been changed with the last 30k it should still look pretty new.

Any doubts and I would change it personally. Too many horror stories on here and elsewhere about slipped TB's and bent valves, cracked pistons... <shivers>
Thanks again. I'll see if I can find the label on the belt itself. I didn't know the belt itself had a label on it.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Well I did find the sticker for the timing belt - it looks like it was done @ 102,000 miles back in Dec 2010. For some reason that job is not listed on my carfax so it must have been done at a non-Volvo shop I'm guessing, or it would have been on the list of services. Yet other services have been done at Volvo after that was done. Weird.

I really hope they did the tensioner and water pump too, as I understand that those should always be replaced when doing the belt. I think the kits usually include the tensioner but not always the water pump? Has anyone ever heard of somebody changing the timing belt but not the tensioner and pump? If it wasn't an official Volvo repair shop, I wonder if they went cheap and skipped the water pump?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by fiey24
Well I did find the sticker for the timing belt - it looks like it was done @ 102,000 miles back in Dec 2010. For some reason that job is not listed on my carfax so it must have been done at a non-Volvo shop I'm guessing, or it would have been on the list of services. Yet other services have been done at Volvo after that was done. Weird.

I really hope they did the tensioner and water pump too, as I understand that those should always be replaced when doing the belt. I think the kits usually include the tensioner but not always the water pump? Has anyone ever heard of somebody changing the timing belt but not the tensioner and pump? If it wasn't an official Volvo repair shop, I wonder if they went cheap and skipped the water pump?
I'd say they went to a shop to avoid the high cost of a timing belt job at a dealer. And any decent shop should have replaced everything. Most TB failures are due to a bearing going out in a pulley, which causes the belt to jump teeth or break. I dont see a shop agreeing to only replace the belt bacause of liability issues if something else fails. And cost of the idler, tensioner and water pump are minimal so I doubt anyone would risk it just to save a little.

That said... In my city anyway... we have these little no-name 'shops' that work on cars for next to nothing. They are always ran by immigrants who are not professionally trained, but say they can fix anything. Just look for the places in the bad part of town that sell used tires for $20 a pop installed Unless the previous owner was dumb enough to visit a place like that I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM

I'd say they went to a shop to avoid the high cost of a timing belt job at a dealer. And any decent shop should have replaced everything. Most TB failures are due to a bearing going out in a pulley, which causes the belt to jump teeth or break. I dont see a shop agreeing to only replace the belt bacause of liability issues if something else fails. And cost of the idler, tensioner and water pump are minimal so I doubt anyone would risk it just to save a little.

That said... In my city anyway... we have these little no-name 'shops' that work on cars for next to nothing. They are always ran by immigrants who are not professionally trained, but say they can fix anything. Just look for the places in the bad part of town that sell used tires for $20 a pop installed Unless the previous owner was dumb enough to visit a place like that I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks again - that makes me feel a bit better. I'm guessing that if it was a hole-in-the-wall shop that would skip the water pump or tensioner, they likely wouldn't bother putting the Volvo sticker on indicating the timing belt was changed. Of course I guess anybody can buy those stickers...

Last edited by fiey24; 03-21-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The Volvo kit comes with the idler and tensioner. I don't replace the pump unless it is leaking or on the second timing belt change.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
The Volvo kit comes with the idler and tensioner. I don't replace the pump unless it is leaking or on the second timing belt change.
I see. Is there any risk of the water pump causing any damage to the timing belt if it fails? I'm just wondering if the water pump is the original how much longer it's got left. Thanks for the help by the way.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

The thinking behind doing the pump at that same time is because the labor overlaps. If the pump leaks, the belt has to come off to replace the pump so you are basically paying the labor again. If Volvo had major water pump issues, I would suggest it to my customers at the timing belt service. But they don't leak very often.

If I'm doing a timing belt and I see signs it is starting to leak (usually dried coolant residue on the pump area), of course I sell it at that time.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
The thinking behind doing the pump at that same time is because the labor overlaps. If the pump leaks, the belt has to come off to replace the pump so you are basically paying the labor again. If Volvo had major water pump issues, I would suggest it to my customers at the timing belt service. But they don't leak very often.

If I'm doing a timing belt and I see signs it is starting to leak (usually dried coolant residue on the pump area), of course I sell it at that time.
Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that if you need to remove the timing belt for any reason, even if it's pretty new, you shouldn't put the same timing belt back on. Any truth to that one?

Old 03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. If it's soaked in oil from a cam seal leak then yes, it should be replaced.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by fiey24
Is the 2002 S40 an interference or non-interference engine? I've read it was interference but I just wanted to verify.
Is the 2001 Volvo s40 1.9t engine an interference engine

Old 05-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Afro
Is the 2001 Volvo s40 1.9t engine an interference engine
Yes it is.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

note the timing belt service interval for the Gen 1 S40s is 10 years/120K miles whichever comes first and the servicing should replace the belt, idler and tensioner and inspect the water pump for signs of leaking (recommend a replace of the water pump with the 2nd belt change)