Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 Losing electrical/instrument panel while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 S40 Losing electrical/instrument panel while driving

Forgive the n00bness, as I've read some similar issues on this model elsewhere with no answer.

Basically the Volvo flashes a few false warnings, then either A. Goes completely dark, with nothing being on, no turning radio on OR off, and stays that way for about half an hour. Or B. Loses all instrument panel controls and just flashes the I for about 15 minutes before coming back on and doing it again, intermittently. When it does either the blinkers will not work. The car drives/runs fine otherwise while doing this, I commute in it.

I bought this car nearly two years ago with well under 100k miles on it. Since then it has continuously had the most random expensive problems that are not normal wear and tear car issues. The normal car issues that I've taken care of on top of those are new battery, ignition switch, starter and flywheel.

It's kept inside out of the weather unless I'm driving it and I've read about these models having sunroof drainage issues. I've had water sometimes trickling in or an occasional "small splash" around the pedals?? I'm not sure of anywhere else as I'm usually the only one in it.

Is this an ECM issue? Rusty wires somewhere? It used to do it randomly then return to normal for a good long while now it is doing it more often than not. It'd be a little difficult to trade it in when you cannot tell how many miles is on it let alone how fast you are going or gas level.

I'd appreciate any bit of advice or information.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Sorry for my english but it's not my mother language. So do u sort the problem with this? I have similar problem. I bought the volvo s40 2.0d 05 year and everything was fine after i done few miles and switched off engine I cannot start again and on dashboard i have msg see immobiliser manual and brake failure so I leave the car for frlew hours and after this time drives perfect! I done about 150 miles park car overnight and the bext mornin when i start the engine it was work bud there wasn't any light or info on dash! I try to plug to clear codes but cannot connect with ecu so I'm totally confused about this! A try to disconnect and plug bk connectors in cem and still the same problem! Please help me cuz I don't have any idea how to sort this!