Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 S40, Multiple Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013 | 10:47 PM
|
Default 2006 S40, Multiple Issues

I picked up a 2006 S40 2.4i (S4) for my high school daughter. I picked it up at an auction, knowing it had a few issues. Unfortunately, I've ran into more. The 2 main issues are 1) the radiator engine fan does not turn on, and thus the engine is overheating; and 2) the passenger side top engine mount and the bottom rear mount have failed (this one was diagnosed by the mechanic who did some other work, but he was going to charge almost $1,000, so I couldn't afford that right now.

I've been most worried about the engine fan. I'm in Texas, so it's hot, and the A/C is a must. As long as I'm moving at least 20 mph, the A/C is cool and engine runs at about 50% temperature. If I sit and idle, the A/C will slowly stop blowing cool air after about a minute, and then the temperature starts to climb. While stuck in traffic, I came with 1 white mark of the red, so too hot for comfort. In looking at it tonight, the fan never comes on. All of the fuses seem to be OK. I read through a bunch of forums, especially about grounding the wires at the relay, and some even had a photo, but I could not find anything similar on my S40. Does anyone know where the relay or what it looks like, or any other advice on what to look for?

Regarding the engine mounts, this will be the first time I've done this. Is it a fairly easy job, or a tough one. I've swapped out motors many years ago, but Volvo's are new to me, so I'm not as comfortable doing this. But, I also can't affort $1,000 right now. Any suggestions?

Finally, are there any good repair manuals or websites with parts diagrams that would help? Again, not being familiar with Volvo's, I'm a bit nervous getting started.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-29-2013 | 06:54 AM

The motor mounts are easy. The main one on the pax side can be swapped in under an hour going slow. Support the oil pan with a jack and soft wood, take the weight off the mount, remove the coolant reservoir, now the mount is right there.

Name:  IMG_1213.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  97.6 KB

The bottom mount is easy too if you have a cool flat surface to work. It's a matter of jacking the car, supporting it on jack stands, then remove and replace the mount. On my 2005 the rubber mount was cracked but when replacing I found the large aluminum piece the mount attaches to was also cracked. I can weld aluminum so no big deal but holy crap batman, how did that happen?

Haynes makes a standard type manual that you can buy in the local auto parts store. I use that for generic type work like replacing brake pads and such. For more detail you can get VIDA software. This is sold on ebay. It works with 32bit versions of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate. It will not work with 64 bit versions. For the ultimate car geek you buy the DiCE tool (which ships with VIDA). This is a Volvo specific scanner that uses most of the VIDA features. It does not use all the features though as Volvo tends to sell "modules" for certain things like making a new key work with your car. Here is one if you are interested: 2013 wholesale free shipping hot volvo scanner volvo vida dice 2012D or 2012A SUPPORT SELF TEST&FIRMWARE UPDATE-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

The front radiator fan is one I've not experienced yet so not much help there. Just for generic troubleshooting though I'd start with wiring the fan directly to the battery to make sure it's not the fan itself that's bad. If the fan works then it's a matter of tracing down the relay which I've no clue where to locate.

Let us know how it goes?

Old 08-29-2013 | 07:09 PM
|

Thank you so much for the advice. That helps a lot - gives me the confidence to tackle it. I'm going to try to order the parts and maybe fix the mounts on Monday. Now, I'm hoping someone can help me a bit on the fan. I'll try to test the motor tonight, but it did spin freely by hand yesterday. I just can't find the relay and such.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2013 | 09:03 AM
|

I wanted to ask a quick additional question about the motor mounts (and also on the cooling fan). The mechanic that did the once over on the car said that it was the "rear bottom" mount that needed to be replaced (along with the passenger top). Am I correct that the problem would be Part #7 on the Swedish Auto Parts site, called the Torque Arm? Is that where the rubber would be that cushions things? He didn't give enough detail, so I'm trying to be sure I order the right parts.

Also, in looking at the Swedish Parts site and speaking to them this morning, it seems that there is no separate relay for the cooling fan on my car. I noticed when looking at the fan, it has a silver box on it, which is likely electronics for it. The temperature gauge in my car seems to be working fine, so I'm guessing the problem is in the fan or electronics. So, that being the case, it looks like I have to replace the full fan and shroud, as it comes in one piece. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2013 | 12:35 AM

Yes, number 7 in the diagram is it. Also check the aluminum piece it attaches to for cracks (#8 in the diagram)

How many wires go to the silver box? Is that not a relay?

Old 08-31-2013 | 09:08 AM
|

Thanks for the reply. I plan to get under the car on Monday, so I'll take a look at things and hopefully see what I need. No use ordering until I see everything I need.

As far as the radiator fan, there were 3 wires that I saw. 2 large, one red and black (so the power and ground), and then a smaller 3rd wire (can't recall the color, and away from home so I can't really see it at the moment. I found this diagram on Tasca Parts. On the top left, you can see the wiring harness, and that's where I can see the 3 wires. The box just to the left of center is what looked to be a metal plate. Could the relay be mounted around that, and I just can't see it until I get thing out of the way?

Thanks again for the help!

2006 VOLVO S40 Parts - TascaParts.com

Old 09-01-2013 | 02:32 AM

I am no help, sorry. Anyone else?

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:12 PM
|

I pulled the fan out today. Putting power on the connector did nothing, so I assume all of the controls are inside the metal box. I tried to take it apart to see if there was a relay inside, but it does not seem to come apart. I put power on the fan side, and the fan spun. So, I think my problem is in the electronics, and plan to order a new one.

But, then I found another problem. When I took the air intake out, I found a problem with the oil filter housing. There's a sensor on the side of it, and it was pulled out. I am assuming it is tied to something measuring pressure or temperature or something. There are 2 springs that I can see and remove, but there's nothing to hold it into the housing. There is a clip on the fitting, and I can remove it. So, it looks like the thing snapped or something. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace only that top plastic cover that includes that connection, or do I have to replace the entire oil filter housing? I've tried to upload a photo of it.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 S40, Multiple Issues-image.jpg