Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2008 Volvo s40 T5: Hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Volvo s40 T5: Hard starting

Hi all, I am new to the Volvo life. Got this car in February. I live in Pennsylvania the car has 120k miles on it. The car originally started every time within like 1/2 second. No issues, very healthy. About a month ago it had what I thought as "slow starting" I thought it was my new battery going dead. The car seemed to crank slowly maybe 2 seconds before it started. But it was here and there not all the time so i was never ready to pay attention to it. Went to advance auto where I got my H7 battery. If I remember correctly its H7. Tested everything, the car even did the issue when the worker was plugged in. Starter tested out fine.

A little while after this issue it starter to have a weird sound at startup. Like something rubbing, it started with sounding like a squeak to a err to then just sounding very rough throughout numerous start-ups. While this came about I researched and found the fuel pressure sensor could be the culprit. I had a friend stand looking at the engine bay to listen for the noise and said they heard the noise right where the sensor is located.

Now It is more often, however, the car only has the issue in the heat. Around 70 degrees and up outside temp. when it is around 60 degrees the car was starting with no issues. The noise also has yet to happen again.

What do yall think?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just from your description I would guess the starter is going out. The fuel pressure sensor would not cause any noise issues at any time including start up. But seek more opinions before spending any money. You just might have a noisy starter that doesn't like heat.

Now with my 2005 if I suspected the starter I would change it after shopping for a suitable replacement. If the car leaves me stranded in some super heated parking lot I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Hudini, it is a little hard to discern what the noise might be. If it's only happening when the starter is engaged, I would have to doubt that it would be something OTHER than the starter. Starters do lead a tough life, and I've had bushings go out and cause a symptom that sounds like I think (!) the OP is trying to describe.

This is where a mechanic's stethoscope is really handy. If you can get the noise to happen reliably, you could just listen to the starter itself and see if the odd noise is coming from the starter. The stethoscopes can be bought for just a few bucks, and no one who ever works on his or her own car should be without one. Check out Harbor Freight for the one I use... one of the best tool values on earth, IMHO.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest taking it to the mechanic if you want it fixed correctly, as you said a mechanic's stethoscope is the best tool in this situation and other friends of mine that had similar problems didn't really know what to do and didn't want to screw some things up , so go with the safe option imo.