Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1999 V70XC Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 V70XC Starting Issues

So, I've been lurking around here since buying my 1999 V70XC about a year and a half ago. Well, I now have a problem and am in need of some help that I can't seem to find an answer to using search.

Yesterday after dropping my son off at daycare, I stopped by my local drugstore to pick up a couple things. The whole trip back and forth to daycare the car was running smooth and giving no indications of a problem. Upon returning to my car, I turned the key and all I got was a "wizzing" noise. The Tach spikes and bounces when I do this, and the serpentine belt doesn't turn. I replaced the battery about 3-4 months ago. Last week I changed the oil, flushed and refilled the coolant. I had been having problems with the key "catching" the tumblers to turn the car on, but I wouldn't think that would be a related problem since something is getting power. My initial thought is the starter, but I thought when a starter failed you just got nothing when turning the key.

As far as my skill level, I'm not an idiot, but I don't have a lot of experience working on cars much beyond regular maintenance type issues. Growing up I helped my dad do a lot of work on cars, but it was more fetching tools, and quiet observation with little explanation.

Any help you folks can provide is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Sometimes the starter gets stuck ingaged. You might hear a clicking sound or maybe a wizzing sound. If you can get access near the starter, you can tap/hit it with a hammer and it might pop back into place (internally). Then you can try to start it again.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Replaced the starter today, annnnnd nada. The Whirring noise is a lot cleaner though.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

little more details would be helpful...

Did you change out the starter? If so did you note the condition of the teeth on the flywheel when you had the starter out?

What's the whirring noise? Is it the starter motor just spinning but the engagement bendix is not getting activated?

educational link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_solenoid

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM

I put in a new starter. The teeth on the flywheel looked fine as far as I could see, but I couldn't get a great look at them as I opted to just pull the fan assembly to get access to the starter. Just for giggles put my multimeter on the battery and that read 12.1v, and its only about 3 months old or so. I believe the whirring noise is the starter spinning, but I have no real way to be sure right? Nothing else seems to be happening in the engine.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From your description it sounds like the starter motor is spinning, but the starter bendix solenoid (the large switch on top of the starter motor assembly which pushes/slides the starter motor gear so it engages into the flywheel ring gear) is not being activated. But you said you replaced the starter with new, which typically comes with a new solenoid bendix, hense my confusion. Are you sure the crankshaft is not turning?

Do you hear any knashing of teeth like the starter gear is grinding against the flywheel ring gear?

I think there's an access cover over the trans bell housing underneath that you could remove to see if the starter is indeed turning the flywheel..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Broke down and took it to a garage, apparently my original assessment of the flywheel was incorrect and there were sheered teeth.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Default flywheel prob.

Hello, I've read your problem with your Volvo, I to have a 1999 xc v70 wagon. bought it used with 175,000 miles,looked in good shape, all service records available. But now it doesn't start, started with it making a horrible noise when starting, a lot of ringing and pinging,for a week or so, then just the starter spinning. as i had it towed home I thought I could replace the starter but the tow truck driver said it might be the flywheel.

After a lot of research and reading your thread I think I've come to the conclusion that my flywheel is toothless. May I ask #1. how much did it coast you to replace your flywheel,and #2. is the replacement stronger than the original. Thank you in advance,
Ranger101

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM

I ended up taking mine to the local Volvo Dealer and they used all OEM stuff, so I doubt its any stronger. For the Flywheel and rear main seal, total came to about 1500.00 after all was said and done.

The way the dealer made it sound, its pretty rare for the teeth on the flywheel to strip. When I brought it to them they told me that they had never seen one. But I guess that could just be a product of people taking them to independent garages for repairs like that.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Thumbs up

thank you for your reply,after looking around this forum and others I have read about Volvo's flywheel having some problems not often but a few here and there. And yes I'll probably will take my Volvo to an independent garage, one that only works on Volvo's. Once again thanks for the info I do appreciate it.