Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Car Started Falling Apart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Started Falling Apart!!!

2005 S40 2.4i
I love this car, i have owned it about 3 years now. But it all of a sudden started having some major issues! Of coarse right as it just rolled over 100,000 miles, we were thinking about selling it, but decided it's such a nice car lets just keep it till it dies. Looks like that time is a lot closer then we thought.
Issues Currently:
1) Since i bought it, its always had what sounds like a major exhaust leak. Its really loud and noisy in the morning, but even driving it, you hit the gas and you can hear what sounds like a bad header leak. Iv check the bolts and gaskets, all seem fine. Its gotten much louder in the past 6 months.
2)The Engine Light popped on. Pulled the code and it said it was the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. I have not replaced it yet as it has had no bad effect. But the engine is getting harder to start after sitting for periods of time. I believe its because of this Sensor from what i have read.
3) The A/C System is acting crazy. It will work great for ten minutes, then the air goes warm. If you turn the compressor button off for 30 seconds to a minute, it works great, for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4) 2 Days ago, it started leaking oil. From the passenger side wheel area. The suspension is covered in oil, but there is no oil anywhere in the engine bay.

As of now i think thats it, I HOPE!!!

Can anybody put any insight into any of this??? I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I have owned all GM Trucks my whole life, but I bought this car for my wife 3 Years ago because of the Safety factor, plus it looks great and drives like a $100,000 car! So i am very mechanically inclined, i do all my own work to the trucks. But this Volvo has me stumped!!! Help Please!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM

I can only speak for your #3 problem. This happened to me when I still was under warranty. I kept taking it back maybe three times or so, I think they said that I needed a software update or whatever you call it. After a few times of them saying that it was fixed, I am pretty sure they had to replace the AC Condenser. I made sure it was fixed before the warranty was up. I also have a 2005. Car is great, but I am now having some front suspension issues.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Here is an interesting post on ac problems.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t26365-a...r-goes-off.htm

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Ok i actually fixed the A/C issue!!! It was the worn out clutch, added shims, now it works perfect!
The leaking issue is becoming much worse. I was talking to a tech today, and he said it sounds like the rack and pinion are leaking. And the only way to fix it is replace the whole rack. Is that true??? Does it sound like a rack and pinion??? Cause the fluid in the tank is crystal clear, but the leak is black watery oil.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by tileking13
1) Since i bought it, its always had what sounds like a major exhaust leak. Its really loud and noisy in the morning, but even driving it, you hit the gas and you can hear what sounds like a bad header leak. Iv check the bolts and gaskets, all seem fine. Its gotten much louder in the past 6 months.
2)The Engine Light popped on. Pulled the code and it said it was the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. I have not replaced it yet as it has had no bad effect. But the engine is getting harder to start after sitting for periods of time. I believe its because of this Sensor from what i have read.
3) The A/C System is acting crazy. It will work great for ten minutes, then the air goes warm. If you turn the compressor button off for 30 seconds to a minute, it works great, for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4) 2 Days ago, it started leaking oil. From the passenger side wheel area. The suspension is covered in oil, but there is no oil anywhere in the engine bay.
1) The engines are loud, its just the nature of the beast. Unless you have an actual exhaust leak, just know that the engine is loud as is.
2) It could be the sensor or it could be the Fuel Pump Control Module or PEM (pump electronic module). There is an extended warranty issued on the PEM as well as a relocation kit. I recommend checking with your local dealership to see if your car qualifies. I replace more PEM's than i do pressure sensors.
3) AC compressor clutch. Very common.
4) The passenger side can be cam seals behind the timing belt/timing cover, oil filter housing/oil trap, or a leaking p/s pump/resevoir as it sits low behind the passenger side front bumper. IF it is your steering rack, there is no way to reseal it and it must be replaced as a whole. BUT in my years at a Volvo dealership, ive yet to replace a steering rack on a 2004.5+ S40.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks for all your input. I know that volvo's tend to be loud, but my neighbor had an S60, same year, and it wasn't nearly as loud as mine in the morning. So thats why i think it has a leak somewhere.

I was getting code 0190 and 0191, is this the PEM you are refering to??? Cause it says its Fuel Pressure Sensor. But as i said, I know nothing about Volvo's

And the thing that keeps stumping me about my leak, is that it's pure black oil, is sometimes watery, and sometimes its a drip, other time its a 6 inch puddle??? I'v checked all my fluids, nothing is getting lower and none are anywhere close to being that dark. These things have small power steering tanks, with the puddles its been leaving i would be out by now. But its still full My engine oil is a tad low, which i have noticed with this car, it always uses a quart between changes. But never had a leak before and never smoked. And my oil is almost clear looking compared to this stuff leaking??? It seems to be worse the hotter the day is and the more i run my A/C.