Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Check engine light flashes 10 times

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light flashes 10 times

Hii,

I have a S40 2,0 from 2000

My problewm is that Check engine light went on with 3 or 4 flashes (Orange) last week, I got it to our Volvo dealer, and they told me that nothing was wrong.
No code on the read out.

But yesterday, it came on again with 3 or 4 flashes, damn....
Drove to the volvo dealer (another one just near by)
They couldn't help, as they were off for today, drove away with the check engine light on, then I turned on the A/C, and the check engine light starts flashing 10 times.....
Okey, is it a problem with the A/C... ???
And on my way home I tried to activate the A/C serveral times, and my "luck" it did it again - flashes 10 times.

Well what does it tell theese flashes, my volvo dealer couldn't tell, he says that it mean nothing.... 3 times or 10 times, he had never heard of it before.....

The dealer is a well know Volvo dealer in Denmark.....

Well the car is now at the dealer, and they have just told my that they have a code, but he couldn't remember it....
They are looking at the car, right this moment.
I will get the code when I pick up the car.

All I want to know: Does the flashes mean anything... ???

PS: Apologize my english !!

Lars - DK

Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Check engine light flashes 10 times

If it flashes and remains on, it simply means your car sensors has registered a fault somewhere in the system. From what I know, there's only 1 nuisance check engine light that comes on(if you don't screw your fuel cap on properly), but other than that, there should be a code which means something. And, ya, I think the number of times it flashes don't mean anything.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car back from Volvo, there was a fault, it was the ignition coil, 2 of them was replaced

It set me back 500 USD :-(

Bu it still don't get it, why it flashes 10 times, and sometimes only 3 times!!!

Best regards
Lars

Old 10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$500?? That's crazy. The parts only cost a total of $100. And I think its very easy to change so not more than an hour's labour? Don't go back to that dealer.

It doesn't matter how many times it flashes. I've got a problem with my ignition coils too now and just ordered new ones, waiting to change them out.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The check engine light flashing means Cylinders missfiring. There is no specific times it should flash.
If you hold the gas down a long time and it missfires for a long time it flashes more. If it only missfires for a few seconds it might only flash 2 times.