Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

climate control module - fan speed is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control module - fan speed is acting up

My climate control module has been screwed up since the day I bought my S40 18 months ago. The Volvo shop I took it to said the unit needs to be replaced. It works but the fan speed is all over the place and I have no control over it. My 2002 S40 has the winter package, which includes the heated seats and the stabilization. Is this the part I need to replace it with?

2002 Volvo S40 A C Heater Climate Control 612699 | eBay

It has all the buttons just like mine currently. Is this all I would need to replace the faulty component, or is there more to it than that? I've heard quotes at anywhere from $600 - $1,000, and I've been told they are hard to find used. But there are several on Ebay right now for $65 - $130. Is this the right part?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 PM

Wow, it seems like your experience with the S40's is mirroring mine!

I had the same problem. Fan speed was erratic unless I set it to 5. When doing research I read to try and replace the transistor pack, but that hadn't worked for everyone.

Then while I was replacing the bulbs in the climate control unit I noticed that the fan speed is controled by a potentiometer. I had some experience with potentiometers becoming erratic, and knew there were sprays that helped clear them up.

So i tried a product called Deoxit D5, found it at Radio Shack for $11 a can. While I had the unit apart I sprayed each potentiometer (there are 3, one for each ****) front and back and worked them around a bit. Completely fixed the problem, the fan runs smooth on all levels. Thats been about a month ago and it still works great. I recommend trying that before shelling out $$$ for a new/used one.

Oh, and yes, the control module on that eBay auction looks like the right one.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM

That's an interesting tip. I might end up giving that a shot first. I might have the opportunity though this weekend at picking up a used climate control unit real cheap - I'll know how it works out this weekend. Currently several lights are out on my unit too so if I can pick up a used unit dirt cheap and the lights are working it might be worth it to me. I'm not sure though how to pull out the unit. Is it difficult? Do I have to remove the entire front dash panel? Is there a guide anywhere for that?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Its not hard, just a little awkward especially if you have big hands.

the trim peice around the module pops out. I used a butter knife to gently pry one side out then it just pulled out easily. Once thats off you will see 4 phillips head screws that hold the mudule on. Once those are out you need to pivot the module around to get at the back of it. I presses the left side into the dash while pulling the other side forward. There are 2 electrical connectors in the back and a 1/2" plastic tube that need to come off. That is the fiddly bit, not much room back there. Once those are off you need to squeeze it through the narrow slot its in, but there is a flange on the top of it that keeps it from sliding right out. What I did was to shove my fist into the opening and sqeeze my hand so that it forced it open more. Then you can carefully work the module out.

Once out there are various torx screws holding it together if you decide to open it up further. The ***** just pull off.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Great, thanks again. Much appreciated.