Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Coolant renewal??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant renewal??

Last weekend needed to change my coolant because one of the radiator hoses split. Off to the store to buy some Ethylene Glycol based coolant which issuitable for cars with aluminium coolant system parts. However when i read the owners manual it statedthat only Volvo original coolant fluid was suitable for use.

Can somebody (tech??) maybe explain if there is a big difference between Ethylene Glycol based cooling fluid and the original Volvo coolant fluid. At the moment the one that i have bought in the store is in, but if this one damages the coolant system than i need to replace it with the original volvo coolant fluid.

The Haynes manual states that to flush the cooling system you need to disconnect the inlet, outlet en expansion hose from the radiator and then you are able to flush it with a garden hose. However on my Volvo S40 2.0i 1996 there is a fourth hose connected to the lower side of the radiator. Somebody has any ideas wath kind of hose this is and if you need to disconnect it aswell before flushing?

Thanks for your time, FT

Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Coolant renewal??

That coolant will be fine!!!
Most of the dealers don't even use the Volvo coolant in cars that aren't under warranty.
They use the cheapest aftermarket coolant they can find.

To flush it you can also remove the thermostat and just insert the hose in there and flush.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:29 PM

Thanks Tech.

Posted my question also on the Dutch Volvo forum and according to one guy it was really essential to put original Volvo coolant in. A mechanic friend of his showed him some old engines that hadn't been serviced with original volvo coolant and these engines showed very bad signs of corrosion. Personally i don't really see any problem as long as the coolant you put in is Ethylene Glycole based.

Regarding the flushing i believe it is recommeded to flush engine and radiator seperatly. To avoid any buildup from engine clog the radiator vice versa.

Regards, FT

Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with using the Volvo antifreeze! There is a huge difference...................... I also use a can of radiator lubricant/anti rust which has worked for me for years. I change fluid every two years. In addition I use a can of Red Line "Water Wetter" which has a dramatic influence on the cooling. Try it.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree it is alot better but not a must!!!
The Volvo coolant is good to use because if there is a leak it corrodes where it leaks so you can see the leak.
But the experiance is that it is not a must.I have never seen a engine go bad because of not using the Volvo coolant.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Had a chat with my dealer today and according to him its alright to leave the coolant in. It wouldn't cause any damage at all. The car needs servicing early next year and the coolant will be changed to the original Volvo spec.

Thanks for your advice.

FT