Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Getting an '07 S40 2.4i, what should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting an '07 S40 2.4i, what should I expect?

Hello guys and gals,

Story time (you don't have to read but I just feel like sharing my unfortunate experience):

Last year I got my first car, a 2001 S60 2.4l L5 automatic. About 3 weeks ago, I got in an accident with it and it was unfortunately totaled. I was leaving a parking lot and was heading towards the intersection of my road and a road that circles around the entire parking lot. I didn't have a stop sign, but I slowed down to look, didn't see anyone, and pulled forward. I didn't even see the guy come flying around the bend in his Camaro. He hit me directly in the area of my front right wheel, pushing the wheel in, completely destroying my suspension and apparently my powertrain too. My mechanic also said there was a lot of structural damage between the fender and the bumper. This guy in his Camaro pretty much pushed me across the intersection with such a force, he had to at least been going 35 mph. My mechanic told me right off the bat it was going to be totaled. And sure enough, the adjuster said, being an older foreign car, it would cost too much to fix. So I'm on the hunt for another car, and I'm getting 60% blame for whatever reason they said (truthfully because I'm only 20 :facepalm: )

After a very frustrating 2 weeks of looking at overpriced/poorly taken care of used cars, I came across a 2007 S40 2.4i. 85,000 miles (mostly hwy it looks like), clean carfax (3 owners though, 1 of which only had it for a month), looks brand new. It was obvious to my father and I that this car was well taken care of. I didn't notice a single scratch or ding. Another thing was the price. The Volvo dealer (which has received excellent reviews online) is asking for just below $10,100 out the door for it. Tax, title, documentation fees, transfer of plates, and inspection fees included. This is by far the cleanest and nicest car I have looked at, and it's also the cheapest.

Here's a crappy picture I took of it, just so you guys can see it. They just put new tires on too:

I did notice two things that worry me though.

1.) White stuff under the hood. I was weary at first that this might of been flood damage from Hurricane Sandy. A mechanic friend of mine said it looks like oxidation from the fans, but I just want to ask you guys, do you know what this is? Photo's of the engine:

2.) Acceleration. I knew before I test drove the car that it wasn't going to feel as zippy and sporty as the T5 model, but wow was the lack of pickup scary. I was making a legal u-turn into oncoming traffic, I pushed the gas pedal down, the engine roared but I wasn't getting enough speed! It took so long to merge I was afraid I was going to get hit! Maybe I'm just not used to it, maybe I'm still a little uneasy and nervous after my accident (I'm a young driver, I feel like I'm going to get into another accident now, a little scared to be behind the wheel again! )

I'm not looking for a sports car, I'm just commuting to college, driving to work, and occasionally going out with friends. I want to go with another Volvo because I'm used to them, they're super comfy and safe, and above all else, have the best ride out of all the cars I have driven!

I really can't tell anymore because I haven't driven my old Volvo S60 in weeks, but can someone please describe what the difference between this car's engine and my old one? I know I will be better on gas, but did my old car have a better, zippier engine? Just want to know what to expect using my old car as a comparison.

3.) What kind of fuel should I give this car? I always did 87 with my old car, mainly because money is tight. But I understand that this is a premium car, and it is recommended for maintaining it that you use more premium fuel. My Dad said I'll be fine with 89, but what do you guys think?

4.) Going to get a warranty, for an 85000 mi car I think I need an aftermarket one. So for a little under 2 grand with tax, I can get an exclusionary warranty, 24 months or 24000 miles with a $200 deductible. Is that something I should go with for this car? I think they were originally trying to give us 24 months 12,000 miles, but another dealer was giving us better so they matched it in the end. I wanted it through a Volvo dealer because, well, it's a Volvo!

Thanks so much guys! Sorry for the long post, just wanted to clear my doubts so I don't regret making this purchase Don't worry if you can't answer all my questions, I just would like to hear your opinions/advice if you don't mind helping me out!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchasing it and picking it up tomorrow, can anyone chime in please before it's too late? I'm really excited!