Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Help replacing a fuse wire. How do I get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help replacing a fuse wire. How do I get it out?

Hello folks! I am replacing the b+ cable on my 2007 s40. It runs from the positive terminal shoe to the fusebox in the engine compartments. I have managed to get to the cable after much finagling but now I am stuck trying to pull out the old fuse wire (1 wire) that is attached to the battery cable. I need to extract the wire circled in red.

how do I get this out? I have tried using a mini screw driver to push it out from the top. I have tried to insert the mini screw driver on the sides from the bottom but have had no luck.

any suggestions?

Old 02-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

They have little tools for this to take them out without damaging the connector. They are called terminal removal kits. Usually an assortment of pick-like looking tools that you slide in the gap, in this case, it looks like the right side of the terminal based on the photo, and once inserted you can pull the connector out. It should slide right out when you use these tools and will require very little force when pulling. I have gotten away with using an actual pick but it is very easy to damage the terminal. The most common one used is a thin flat rectangle shape. Since you have the new cable to go in, you can use that connector to see what part of the box needs to be pressed on with a flat edge and apply pressure to that side on the terminal thats installed.

Maybe if you have a small eyeglass flat head, that will work.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingus1
They have little tools for this to take them out without damaging the connector. They are called terminal removal kits. Usually an assortment of pick-like looking tools that you slide in the gap, in this case, it looks like the right side of the terminal based on the photo, and once inserted you can pull the connector out. It should slide right out when you use these tools and will require very little force when pulling. I have gotten away with using an actual pick but it is very easy to damage the terminal. The most common one used is a thin flat rectangle shape. Since you have the new cable to go in, you can use that connector to see what part of the box needs to be pressed on with a flat edge and apply pressure to that side on the terminal thats installed.

Maybe if you have a small eyeglass flat head, that will work.
It’s more finesse than force for sure, “Very little force required”. Much appreciated.