Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

HID Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Problems...

Hello to all...

I need some help with my HID conversion. I have done a lot of research regarding HID's on the S40 2004.5+. I own a 2007 2.4i. I would like to mention that this is not the first time I work on vehicles including HID's. I have installed HID's on my friends cars, my older cars, etc... But sometimes is better to ask and maybe it's just something I am missing. Anyway, on with the story....I went to the dealer and had the DRL's turned off and got home and started installing the HID's. First I went ahead and checked them using the battery (checking them is something I have always done in the past). All worked ok. Well I installed and turn the head lights on (with the car on and off), the HID's come on for about 2 seconds and then go off. I tried using one HID light and the other with the regular bulb and when I turn the lights on, the HID bulb goes out after 2 seconds and the regular bulb stays on as it should. Has anyone here come across this problem?

Extra info if needed: When the dealer turned off the DRL's, no lights work when the switch is "off". When you switch to the second option, only the side, rear and little bulb in the high beam turn on. Finally on the last option, which is the "on" position, all lights work with the regular low beam bulbs.

Any help would be appreciated...

By the way, you guys have some nice S40's!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: HID Problems...

I have not done them on a newer car yet. But it sounds like it might be an overload protection kicking in or something. With the HID's hooked up when they shut off do you still have power at the plug for the headlights?(Oem wiring)

With a test light check your power wire going to the Hid's and see if you still have power. If you do then it might be something with the kit. If you loose power to the HID's at the OEM headlight wiring then the relay might be overheating.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the response.

There is still power to the headlight plug.

I tried a relay and its funny, when I would hook up the wire that goes to the battery the HID's would turn on, then when I'd turn the vehicle on and switch "on" the headlights it would turn off and then when I would turn the headlights "off" the HID's would come back on. Weird. I have hooked up relays before for other items and not necessarily headlights, but they always work correctly.

Here is the way I plugged the relay=
Ground to #85, 12 volt headlight wire to #86, 12 volt wire from battery fused to #30 and the wire from the HID + ballast to #87.

Maybe for headlights its a bit different. Well maybe someone here may know.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

im curious about this... i too have put HID's on several cars with NO issues, tho looking to do this for my sis's s40 t5 2004 soon

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

But if you are still getting power to the power wire for the HID's when they go off the HID brain is shutting it down for some reason.
If it was in the car you would loose power to the headlight wiring. But it all seems like the HID unit is cutting it off for some reason.

Maybe contact the company you bought from and see if maybe it needs a better ground or something like that.

It seems like it isn't getting a good ground or it is being overloaded and the HID unit is cutting power to the bulbs.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM

I have been thinking about it and I think I am going to use a different HID ballast and see what happens then. If the same thing happens, then all I can assume is that the dealer screwed something up.

I remembered before removing the DRL's, I hooked up the same HID Kit and before turning the car on I would put the headlight switch to option 2 and then turn the car on. Once the car was on, I would turn the headlight switch from option 2 to the "on" position and the HID's would work without cutting off. So maybe the HID kit doesn't like the new settings or the dealer screwed me. Greeeaaattt!!!!!!! Well I am going to try another kit I have. I'll post as soon as I get it done.

In the meanwhile if someone has come across this problem and knows how to fix it, please let me know and maybe we can all benefit from this issue.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator

All the Dealer does with the setting to turn off the DRL is tell the computer to cut off the DRL in the off position. It usually doesn't even take software to do it.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Your right, but these techs had to call and get a number to turn them off. They wasted a whole day and couldn't figure it out. From the moment I dropped it off to them I told them about the number they were looking for as i had gotten it from I think this forum. Well at the end the number I had was what they were looking for. That's why I say hopefully they didn't screw anything up. But your right, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

I don't think I said thank you for your responses and help. If I didn't, then thank you.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Your welcome anytime please keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM

There is still power to the headlight plug. Maybe contact the company you bought from and see if maybe it needs a better ground or something like that.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you are describing sounds very odd. I wonder if the DRL was disabled properly. If I recall, there were 2 part numbers called out for the software to disable mine. I don't really know why 2 or what exactly they mean but here they are:

Now this was for a US '05 V50 T5 w/fog lights
30679691-3 Low-Beam 3 Appl $26.75
30679689-7 Low Beam 1 Appl $26.75

Stan

Last edited by AutoNaut; 03-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 AM

Did you find a fix for this issue? I too are having this same issue but on my 2006 xc90 hids come on for 2 seconds and turn off. I've been searching like crazy to find a fix but this is the first that i saw someone else having the exact same issue as me. Please let me know. Thanks