Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

I have several minor problems with my 2001 Volvo S40 (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have several minor problems with my 2001 Volvo S40 (need help)

Okay, my 2001 Volvo S40 Gear shift indicator does not light up, does anyone know where the bulb is and how to access it? (I have pics of the paneling off).

Second, when you select a certain fan speed on ****, the speed that you select is not the speed the fan runs. For example, when I select 2 it sounds as if the fan is running at 4. Also, sometimes when I set the fan at 0, the fan still comes on. How do I fix that?

Third, I would like to know if the 2001 Volvo S40 has a passenger door step light. I know the driver side has one right near the pedals. I looked underneath the passenger side and could not locate it. I am only asking, because after years of not caring, I just know noticed I had a bulb out on the drivers side.

Forth, my leather is in perfect condition except the drivers side bottom. Does anyone know of a kit or patch kit I can buy for it?

Sorry if that is a lot of questions, but this has been the most frustrating car I have ever owned. I have 2 Hyundai's that never see the shop, I think Volvo's name is disgraceful now, and has really slipped over the last 10 years. My neighbor has 3 Volvo's that are 20+ years old and still run great. Sorry for the small rant

Thanks You.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fan problem is fairly common. There is a power transistor located near the fan that goes bad. You can get a direct bolt-on replacement at the dealer for about $85. Or if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can save some $$ and replace just the transistor on the mount. Here is a How-To:
http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...t=0#msg_134311

Stan

Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
The fan problem is fairly common. There is a power transistor located near the fan that goes bad. You can get a direct bolt-on replacement at the dealer for about $85. Or if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can save some $$ and replace just the transistor on the mount. Here is a How-To:
http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...t=0#msg_134311

Stan
Just an FYI, this how-to is also in my Frequently Asked Questions thread here:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/frequently-asked-questions-34712/

Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM

The fans are crap and is not fixed by replacing the transistor at this stage. When the fan goes full-on all the time, or doesn't work at all, then replacing the transistor (no soldering required by the way, its push fit) will put it back as it is now. You'll have to live with it.
There is no passenger footwell light.
Other common issues are the alarm doesn't work because the bonnet switch doesn't engage, and the VVT pulley fails giving a horrible grind noise from the engine intermittantly.

I have to agree on these facelift S40's. I had a 97 model which was superb, never had an issue with it in 7 years. It was 11 years old when written off in an accident and was still immaculate. I replaced it with my 2002 S40 which, other than having slightly better steering, has been a pain in the **** and cost a fortune. I need to run it for another 4 years but the ****ly issues keep continuing and I doubt I'll get there. The facelist model has an amazing number of regular faults that a high volume of examples seem to experience.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Stash
I am sorry I have to disagree. My '02 S40 did the exact same thing and it was fixed by replacing the resistor. The fan itself certainly will not cause this problem. The only other cause would be the climate control unit.

You are correct about the soldering if you chose to buy the Volvo replacement for the transistor assembly for $85. However, if you are crafty, you can remove the transistor from the assembly and solder a new one on for less than $10 from Radio Shack. See link.
http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...t=0#msg_171015

Sorry to hear about all your '02 troubles. Mine had quite a few too but none that serious. The worst was the airbag control module going bad. Fortunately, I had a warranty.
Stan

Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 AM

Hi Stan, Yes I did the same fix with a £2 transistor on mine, didn't have to solder it. I didn't think this was the cause of the intermittant fan speeds, just think its somewhere else in the whole heating system rather than "the fan" as I incorrectly stated.
I've only had a couple of big faults, the ****ly ones are the most common. The thing that annoys me the most is I always considered Volvos to be a bullet proof car, and this was born out by my 97 version. The later ones certainly have some quality control issues. I hope the more recent cars are better, but I won't be buying another any time soon.
I notice your S40 is RIP, what happened?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the help! Now if I can just find where these damn bulbs are located...

Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 PM

yup had the same problem with my volvo, and it was fixed when i replaces the transistor. however after i replaced it, they found out that it blown out other computers on teh car so have the mechanic to double check the other computers before you leave. also for the seat covers, i know of no idea of fixing the seat, but u can buy a new skin for about 150$ on some websites.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by stash36
... I hope the more recent cars are better, but I won't be buying another any time soon.
I notice your S40 is RIP, what happened?
After problems with my '98 V70 and the '02 S40, I swore I'd never buy a Volvo again. The S40 had problems the day I drove it home of the showroom floor. The sales guy was under orders by me to throw my a** out if I even looked at another Volvo. That was until the S40 was totaled.

I was on the Washington DC beltway and traffic came to a stop. I stopped but the driver of the car behind me wasn't even looking and hit me doing about 55-60 mph. The back of the car was smashed up to but no farther than the high strength safety cage cabin, left rear wheel torn off. The car was totaled but I wasn't. The crumple zones and WHIPS worked so well that I didn't even have a backache. I have a wife and 3 kids and am on the highway at least 50 miles each day; I knew I was going to but another Volvo. The dealer, Herb Gordon Volvo, gave me a loaner for several weeks while they located a V50 T5 for me and gave me an excellent deal. Since it is a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) it comes with a 6 year / 100K mile warranty, which is like gold with these cars.

As far as reliability, the '05 V50 T5 has had its minor annoyances but it really is a nice step up from the '02 S40 and I enjoy driving it so much more. It is the first year out for the redesign and they ironed out many of the bugs. The safety benefit of Volvo far outweighs the problems I've had.

Stan

Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Wow glad you were ok. I also have three kids and your story is another reminder of why Volvos are worth considering. Was on that beltway last April, I love DC.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
mip
Cool Same blower problem

We just found a 2001 S40. The defrost/heat/a/c does not work. We know the fan works and thought maybe it was just the relay but that does not seem to be the problem either. It seems to be the transistor after looking at everything and finding this gem under the dash. Only problem I am visual and would like to open the page posted with the diagram but can't now... maybe it's too old? If you know where this diagram could be opened so we can see it we would greatly appreciate the help. Also, if anyone knows where we could get parts inexpensively that would also help. The junk yards seem sort of expensive and new is even more. Thanks for the help...

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck with that resistor. It sounds like a great way to fix the issue. I'm like you though, can't get the page to open and need detailed instructions on what to do. I bought one from the dealer when mine went bad.

Cheap prices and Volvos don't seem to go together. For generic parts try RockAuto. For Volvo specific try FCP Groton, IPD, swedishautoparts, partsgeek, & many more.

Here is a pic of the entire resistor package:
Name:  s40resistor.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  3.7 KB

Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to buy the whole thing.Go to radio shack and get the transistor.It is really easy to replace this part.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062614

Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
mip

thanks for the help. I will check these out and see what I can do next.