Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Interior leak advice (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior leak advice (with pics)

Sorry for the cross post..

I have had a 2004.5 S40 since new. After owning it about a year I noticed that the rear passenger floor was wet and took it in under warranty. As I recall, they said something about sealing a leak.

All work was done at Sandberg NW Volvo.

About a year later it happened again, and the car smelled bad! I took it in, and they said they fixed another leak. I asked about the smell and they had my carpets "detailed" and sent me on my way.

About another year later, as the warranty was running out, it happened again and the smell was worse than ever! I took it in, they said they fixed it. I asked that they replace the carpets and bleach the floor pan because of the obvious mold/mildew problem. They refused, but offered to detail the carpets. I said they would have to escalate this Volvo N. America and they said they would investigate that. I was lame, and let the whole thing slide for a while.

Now, the car stinks way worse than ever and I'm out of warranty (61k). After a couple weeks of hot and humid weather, the rear carpet was really soaked! I'd had it. I suspected the AC drain and decided to pull the carpets and have a look. Here are the pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/erik.utt...CLms8oH-5tKUeQ#

Can someone confirm this is indeed the AC drain? As soon as I turned the key is started dripping water. I checked the sunroof drains and found the drivers side clogged, but the passenger side was clear. Also, it hasn't rained in quite a while, so I'm pretty sure it's the A/C drain
So... what is my suggested course of action? I obviously need to fix the AC drain for good, get new carpets and bleach the floor pan. Since I have invested my own labor to get this far, here is what I am thinking:
Call my dealer service manager, explain the situation and send pics. Explain that I believe Volvo negligence is to blame since I'd had it in so many times for this. Then ask that they buy me new carpets. I'll do my own labor. I think this is fair. If they say no, I suppose I should escalate to Volvo of N America, BBB and state attorney general. If Volvo says no should I post to consumerist etc? What is my best course of action? Do I have legal cause?

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would skip the dealer and go right to volvo usa. call them and talk to someone directly (m-f 12:00 is a good time). and if they say "nope, sorry cant do anything for you" ask to talk to their manager, and the managers manager and so on untill you get what you need/deserve (also mention the bbb when you get to the manager...)

Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes that is the A/C drain. I assume it is not clogged?