Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My 2003 s40 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 s40 nightmare

Bought my wife a 2003 s40 1.9t automatic in may. Ever since then it's been one thing after another. When I purchased I heard a clunk in the front end and a wheel bearing type noise. Working for napa I thought no big deal.... Well I had narrowed it down to an 03 Audi a6 and the s40. Well I went with my gut and bought the s40. I get home and the next day a check engine lite comes on I thought that's wierd there was nothing the day before. I remember the sleep told me his dad was a mechanic do they must have deleted the codes before I test drove the car. Codes; MAP, MAF, transmission control module code, an ECM or ecu code that says it wasn't flashed right code, temp sensor code. Sorry I don't have the exact code in front of me. Then I noticed they the blower motor was blowing a different speeds like it couldn't decide to circulate or just have air come in from the outside kind of noise, or like the blend door was moving. Then I noticed that the braking was extremely soft when cold so I replaced brakes all the wag around just to find out it was a recall on the master cylinder. Then due to a bad mechanic he told me the turbo was bad cause it was leaking oil so bad. But I think it's just the oil out tube that's leaking but I haven't got that far. So I was told that the clunk i heard when I test drove the car was an outer tie rod and the wheel bearing whooping I was hearing was all on the same drivers side front that the clunky tie rod was on. If anyone knows about the pressed in bearings they are a pain. Well I replaced both tie rod and front bearing on bad info from same bad mechanic. So I did the tie rod and bearing at the same time I did the brakes. So we got it all done I pull out of the drive way and still soft breaking still whopping from the bearing and still clunking... Well at that time I noticed it was shifting really hard in 2nd gear. So that's just another thing that came up. Also there's a clunk in the rest end now. So not only did I do a lot of work, two new things came up... So the clunk in the front ended up being just a 20 dollar sway bar I also put a lower control arm in cause the ball joint was bad, and the wheel bearing was the hub in the rear passenger side. The clunk in the rear was a control arm... So I noticed if just didn't have the power I thought it should so I remembered the MAF and map codes so I got some plugs and coils and some MAF cleaner and cleaned it off and took the cover over the plugs and coils off and first of all what a ****y design to cover the spark plugs wires with loom cause all the loom was dryed out cause they were baked by that cover... Anyway I only took half the cover off at first not the timing cover off. Well I end up taking the timing cover off and noticed for every tooth on every pulley was a big crack in the belt!!! I was a week away from the timing belt snapping. So I put a new water pump and timing belt on. Finding that I need a new radiator bleeder hose. Luckily I work at a parts store or just the stuff I already did I calculated 2500 bucks with parts and labor for retail customers. I think I went through about 600. So after I drive away from the timing belt I notice the exaust is a little louder... Well there's a crack in the flex pipe. So now I've fixed all the clunks and wheel bearing and brakes and timing belt and plugs and coils. I'm still stuck with the leaking turbo which I'm hoping and praying it's just that outlet oil tube seal. And all those codes I haven't deleted since cleaning off the MAF. But that still leaves me the hard shifting in 2nd gear which I'm planning on using purple power tranny fluid cause it says it's jws 3309 certified and I get a discount on if so hopfully that's ok. Also the map sensor scares me along with the ECM or ecu code and the transmission module code. I will add the codes up when I get home. I still need to install the temp sensor cause of the temp code I replaced the thermostat and the sensor was cheap so I just bought it. But I heard there's a computer code that Can trip codes so has anyone had similar experiences with these S40s or is it just that the previous owner did t want to do any maintience and doped my dumbass in to buying it. I realize that some of the thing I should have checked before replacing but I trusted that mechanic that checked it all out. But come to find out from his co worker he was just trying to get money outa me.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Sorry for the long post... But does anyone know anything about any of the map/MAF codes or the tranny sending unit code and the not flashed right ECM or ecu codes? I'm wondering do they all have something in common? And is there anything that I may have missed that needs to be done for maintenance on a S40 with 126k on it? Thanks for anyone that takes the time to reply and if you have any questions for me just ask

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The leaking oil from the turbo is pretty common. There is an O-ring on the metal oil return pipe where it enters the block that causes the leak. I bought a kit from IPD that had the O-ring for the bottom and gasket for the top where it connects to the turbo center section. It is a tight fit getting your hand up to the bottom of the turbo.

There is also a MAP sensor as well as a MAF. The MAP sensor is located on the intercooler at the front in this pic.:
Name:  MAPSensor.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  43.3 KB

Once you make sure all your connections are tight and you have no air leaks then I'd erase all the codes and see which ones come back quickly. Do you have a code reader?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Brizzle, welcome to VolvoForums.

Please do post the codes, that will help others help you. It's amazing how well these cars run with so many problems.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM

Thank you Hudini I actually didn't know where the map was but the great thing about having a volvo is napa doesnt stock anything and it's all a week away... And rspi I'll put the codes on when I get home. I've used this forum and learned a lot but have never been a member till now and I'm looking forword to trouble shooting this car with everyone who wants to help. I'll post the codes later tonight.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Ok here's the codes guys hope you can help vehicle has 127k on engine and work at parts store so replace of parts is relatively cheap for me so if I should just replace instead of trouble shoot let me know
main code:
1 p0101 MAF, faulty signal (should I just replace or check for signs)

Troubleshoot: I cleaned MAF with clear changed air filter

Stored codes:

1: P0101: same as above this is how my code reader reads them main code, stored,and pending...

2: p0107 Boost sensor signal too low

3: p128 coolant temp sensor faulty sign
Troubleshooted; when timing belt was replaced had new thermostat put in but didn't replace temp sensor although I do have the sensor I just haven't installed but will.

4: p0600; serial communication link
What I was told about this one was pervious owner didn't flash ECM correctly. Now car is a salvage title with airbag deployment. Air bags are reinstalled but they never got the airbag light turned off from the dealer so maybe since the airbag think they are deployed this could be ECM code issue?

Throubleshotted nothing to this point

5: p0602; power train control module programming error
Probably has to to with previous code 0600 so my guess about airbag light being on for 0600 is prolly wrong

6: P0700 DTC stored in the transmission control module
Troubleshooted; nothing

7: p0723 transmission speed signal missing
Throubleshooted; checked speedometer, works fine.

Pending Codes

1: P0101

2: p0107

3: p0128

4: p0700

Ok there are the codes have anyone had any problems like these and what are some of you suggestions. Thanks, brad

Old 07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, that's alot of codes. I had an SRS (airbags) light that turned out to be a faulty SRS computer in my 2001. It was fixed with a junkyard SRS computer from a 2000 model. The computer itself is located directly under the center console about where your right elbow rests on the storage box lid.

Have you reset the codes yet to see which ones return quickly? Some codes won't set a CEL until they are present for 2 starts in a row. I've yet to have most of the ones you have now.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM

I did delete all of them and have not rechecked what ones came back will do that ASAP. Thanks again for reply

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Hey Brizzle good post! I gotta '01 S40 with 165,000 miles on it. Running nice now after about 3 grand recent invest. New paint, recondition leather, new control arms, tierods, sways, ful pump, fuel regulator. Also have the code for cat converter below threshold, but I just keep resetting it. It comes on about once a month. But all in all, I'm happy driving this car, my wife drove it for 10 years. If I'm lucky, I'll get 10 years out of it.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Yea I like the car it's in good shape it's just feels laggy and the fan seems to come on a lot is that normal or should I replace temp sensor? It also seems to lack *****... I'm thinking a fuel filter and new MAF sensor will change that but I read in the Manuel to use 10w30 if it's over 86 degrees outside and it's been near 100 here all July so I'm glad I did that but that might also be cause for the lag. So does the coolant fan come on a lot and is there a reason for the no *****?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM

I've had a couple of guys say that my condenser fan was real loud. And yes my air increases and decreases on auto, then I just put it to 5. Also my car doessn't have good pickup. But she does start up nice and 25 mpg is so much better than my former jeep liberty.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Sorry to hear of your experience. The "no-*****" is endemic to the S40...which is a very heavy vehicle with an engine slightly bigger than a VW bug. The turbo really helps---but Volvo discontinued the "Sport Mode" after 2000...At the push of a button, the transmission shifts up/down at higher engine speeds for improved perfromance. Once you get 'er dialed in, you will have a decent motor vehicle on your hands. Best wishes.