Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

new owner simple question plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner simple question plz help

good day all!

recently I purchased what I think is a great find for the money as a back up commuter car a 2002 s40 with only 44k miles I have read many posts on this forum and currently have these to start and head me in the right direction:

1. where can I find the correct interior color ( I think its a tan/or grey) on the vin or any where on the car is there an identifier it has some stain cloth door panel and would love to change to leather if possible same with the seats
2. best combo brake rotor pad ??? want to change them asap they seem to have a lot of fade and not much bite
3. oddest thing the passenger wiper (arm?) wont touch the windshield on its highest arc kind of lifts off the windshield leaving a big patch untouched no matter which wiper brand I use? is this a common problem to replace the arm at only 44k miles?
4. does any 7in double din after market radio fit ?

thanks in advance for any assistance !!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In my experience, an older low mileage car like that has probably never been serviced. There are a lot of things that need checked considering the age of the car. I once had a customer buy a low-mileage vehicle from someone else that was basically junk. We made more doing repairs on the one that he bought than we would have made selling a vehicle.

Back to your question - the interior color I give the dealer the VIN and they give me the color. The brake rotor/pads that we use are Centric and they work just fine. The brake fluid should also be changed. The wiper arm is common on the old 850 models but I've not heard of it happening on the newer designs. I saw a post once where someone shimmed the lower mounting bolt on the wiper transmission outward making it have better contact with the windshield. If you try to bend them they will break.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
i think i got lucky since the car was routinely serviced by the volvo dealer and the records came with the car everything appears to have been maintained upto the 30K service.
the brakes feel has alot of fade even though theres about 40-50 pad left but it was a seldon used car out ofFlorida

so the Centric brand for brakes have good feedback with stock pads or ceramic seems like alot of places sell the slott/drilled rotors pad combo which appears cheaper than buying them piece by piece.
The interior apears to be a gray /tan and i want to get the right color to be able to replace maybe someone knows of a direct panel oem parts location?
The wiper arm definetly appears to be lifting off the glass at its highest arc swing almost a clear 2-3 inches
any good recommendations for a double din radio replacement