Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

No Vacuum from PTC Nipple

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Vacuum from PTC Nipple

Hey y'all, Very informative forum y'all have. Question, I have cleaned the PVC system in my son's 2000 S40. I cleaned the oil separator, the block inlets, upper and lower, the hose to the top of the crankcase and the hose to the PTC nipple and the PTC nipple itself. I can blow air into the crankcase from the PTC nipple side and I can blow air into the oil pan. I can see through the PTC nipple so I know its not clogged. I am still not getting suction at the PTC nipple for the crankcase. I have airflow into the turbo and the turbo vanes spin freely. Do I not have enough airflow to generate suction? The car runs ok but of course it blows oil out of the oil fill port. Or am I missing some piece from the PTC? it doesn't LOOK like it's missing anything... any ideas?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

After I cleaned mine I started the engine then placed my hand over the oil fill port. After a few seconds you could feel a tiny bit of suction pulling on your hand. Did you give it a few seconds?

Otherwise it could be worn out rings or a clogged cat convertor. Those are all possibilities although I wouldn't spend any money on the car before testing and inspection. Leak down test and a compression test for the rings. For the cat remove the O2 sensor and visually check it through the hole. You could also run the engine for a few minutes with the O2 sensor removed to see if things change.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini
After I cleaned mine I started the engine then placed my hand over the oil fill port. After a few seconds you could feel a tiny bit of suction pulling on your hand. Did you give it a few seconds?

Otherwise it could be worn out rings or a clogged cat convertor. Those are all possibilities although I wouldn't spend any money on the car before testing and inspection. Leak down test and a compression test for the rings. For the cat remove the O2 sensor and visually check it through the hole. You could also run the engine for a few minutes with the O2 sensor removed to see if things change.
Yup, ran her upside down and sideways same result... even at high revs I get no vacuum although it does seem to suck a good bit of air into the turbo. I was wondering about the cat, i'll pull that 02 sensor first, we did pull an 02 code before we parked it and stated fixing stuff. Thanks for your help Hudini.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini

Well I pulled the cats, they look fine actually I was really surprised at how good they did look. I blew them out soaked them and washed them out and blew them out again. They are totally clean now, the honeycombs are not melted, still not getting the airflow I should, Will the waste gate activate while revving the engine in park? or does it have to be under a load or in drive? I guess I'll pull the turbo next and check it out.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The Boost Control Solenoid should control the boost. I don't think you can produce enough boost just revving the engine in idle. Here is one IPD sells: (BCS) Boost Control Solenoid VOLVO OE 115605 9473212

I would suspect something other than the turbo really. With all the emissions hoses and hard lines running around the engine and given Volvo and their "environmentally friendly" plastic, I would suspect a vacuum leak or broken hose or failed vacuum pump.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Totally agree. My daughter's 850 was throwing some codes and I did the simple vacuum line inspect and sure enough, one of the caps on the "vacuum tree" was missing! This follows the recommended logic of start simple and go more complex. There's also a good vid from RSPI on youtube about how to make your own smoke tester for locating possible vacuum leaks (check the 850 boards )