Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Please Help: Dropping revs, stalling and engine electronic system warning light

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Please Help: Dropping revs, stalling and engine electronic system warning light

Hello everyone. I drive a 97 S40 (1800). Recently she's been dropping revs and occasionally stalling. Today my engine electronic system fault light came on while driving home from work. As my local dealership were due to close I called them to check if ok to still drive. They suggested it sounded like it might be a fault with a "Throttle Valve Control Unit" and suggested I take it in for diagnostics, but they're fully booked until end of next week! Upon investigation it would appear this valve is linked to something called an EGR which might be clogged with carbon. Other threads imply this can be removed and cleaned but I can't find instructions for my year/model. Can anyone tell me where is my EGR? What does it look like? How is it removed? What cleaning solution should I use?

Pictures (if possible) would also be very much appreciated as describing me as a novice would be a generous statement!

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tweet

I notice a kind fellow volvo'er has tweeted my problem. Whoever you are, I thank you . I'm not on twitter, so could you please copy any responses/ideas to this forum, otherwise I can't see them.

Thank you again.

Stephen Backway.