Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Please help. Just broke an adjustment screw!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please help. Just broke an adjustment screw!

Ok, since I bought the car the headlamps seem to be facing downward. I could only see maybe 15 feet away from the car. I decided to play with the adjustment screws. The on on top adjusts the right and left movement of the headlight so I go for the one at the bottom right side of the assy. Turning the white plastic thing won't do a thing so I took the whole assembly off the car to see if I could adjust it via the allen screw, thinking the white gear might be broken. Guess what? I turned it and it started moving but I turn too hard in the wrong direction and I broke the adjustment assy. Is there anyway to just replace this part? Or do I need a new headlamp? Please help. I'm in pain here

Last edited by lando_pr; 03-08-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to say but unless you custom make something you need a new headlight.

They commonly break.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Man, this sucks. I was hoping for the best. I got so tired of not seeing at night that I gave it a try. Seems that it was already all the way to the right and when I turned it (delicacy is not my best attribute) snap it went. I guess I'll be needing a driver's side headlamp soon.
Btw, the car is a 2006 S40

Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

WOW still under factory warranty? If so put it all back together and let them replace it.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:52 AM

It is still under warranty but I doubt they won't notice it is glued back or broken. I think I'll get one cheap on ebay and then take the car to the dealer so they can aim the headlights. If they break it then it's their problem.

Last edited by lando_pr; 03-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Oh ok

Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM

How about this?
S40 2004-2007 Headlight Driver Halogen No height adjustment OES30698801

No height adjustment? What's the adjustment screw I broke for? Isn't it for height adjustment? It sure looks like height adjustment looking at the inside of the assy. Anyone ?

Old 03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hmm not sure would have to see it in person.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 PM

I have the same problem. I brought the 05.5 s40 to the dealer and told them to the lights are low and i would like to adjust them higher.

They came back and told me that the lamps for this model are not adjustable but are legal height. I say BS that they are legal height because they are horrible for night highway driving...

Anyone else have the same experience with non-adjustable?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by B7Lee
I have the same problem. I brought the 05.5 s40 to the dealer and told them to the lights are low and i would like to adjust them higher.

They came back and told me that the lamps for this model are not adjustable but are legal height. I say BS that they are legal height because they are horrible for night highway driving...

Anyone else have the same experience with non-adjustable?
B7Lee, Please tell me this ain't true - "...non-adjustable..."??

I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD and I can see about 15 feet in front of the car with low beams on!! I thought Volvo was synonymous with safety!

I've seen what looks like adjusting screws (need a hex wrench) on the headlight back but have also read of people who have broken things that may look like adjusters but aren't.

Please post what you find out about this.
Thx, Rainor

Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rainor
B7Lee, Please tell me this ain't true - "...non-adjustable..."??

I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD and I can see about 15 feet in front of the car with low beams on!! I thought Volvo was synonymous with safety!

I've seen what looks like adjusting screws (need a hex wrench) on the headlight back but have also read of people who have broken things that may look like adjusters but aren't.

Please post what you find out about this.
Thx, Rainor
Hi Rainor,

I was never able to adjust them with any luck. I tried using a torx/hex wrench on a few of the settings, but it did not adjust the beam. It didn't do anything...(Maybe broken)

However, I found that replacing my H11 headlamps with new ones resulted in better visibility at night. +/- 10 extra feet of beam. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brendan

Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by B7Lee
Hi Rainor,

I was never able to adjust them with any luck. I tried using a torx/hex wrench on a few of the settings, but it did not adjust the beam. It didn't do anything...(Maybe broken)

However, I found that replacing my H11 headlamps with new ones resulted in better visibility at night. +/- 10 extra feet of beam. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brendan
Hey Brendan,
Since my last post I've read where the Bi-Xenon headlights are self adjusting based on how much load you have in the car. I called my local dealer and he confirmed that. I'm going to try to get to the dealer today and have him look at it. I'll post what I find out.

BTW how much did the replacement of the H11's cost?
Rainor

Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rainor
Hey Brendan,
Since my last post I've read where the Bi-Xenon headlights are self adjusting based on how much load you have in the car. I called my local dealer and he confirmed that. I'm going to try to get to the dealer today and have him look at it. I'll post what I find out.

BTW how much did the replacement of the H11's cost?
Rainor
Hi Rainor,
You may have more luck with adjustment of xenon lights. I myself have been talking about standard halogen bulbs. Don't let them charge you anything for adjustment.

Also, my H11's came from the old foglights that I had from my audis4. Just goes to show how weak the low beams are since they were just for my foglights on the s4... Not very safe IMO. :/

Goodluck,
Brendan

Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Default Bi-Xenon - jerry rigged fix!!

2005 Volvo S40 AWD T5 w/Bi-Xenon Headlights

Ok, I've had all kinds of problems with my low beam Bi-Xenon lights being too low (showing only about 15 feet in front of the car).

I took the car to the dealer and he told me there was a very small amount of adjustment that could be made but those adjusters were stripped. They said the only option was to replace both headlight assemblies for about $2300!!

I asked if there was any way they could jerry rig them to just set them at a "proper" height and let them stay there.

They did some kind of fix with a screw so they are at a good height for normal car load but not adjustable. I can't see the screw they talked about but I'm going to check with them next week. And the auto adjusting doesn't work either (I don't think it has for a while). They said the screw could eventually make its way out and drop the light beam to where it was before. For a $100 fix I can live with that compared to 2 new headlight assemblies for $2300!!

It would be nice if Volvo offered a replacement auto adjusting screw that seems to get stripped by more than one owner.

Anyway, for now I finally feel safe driving at night. When I took it out for a test drive at night on an unlit 2 lane highway I passed about 30 oncoming cars and only got flashed by 1. I suspect the lights may be a smidge high but obviously not too bad. Not sure what will happen if I have 2-3 adults in the back. I may get flashed more then.

Hope this helps others who suffer from this issue.

Rainor

Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Small fix I just discovered/invented. My high-beam (halogen, not Xenon) adjusting widget snapped off--that PoS must be the stupidest thing the Swedes have built since the Vasa--and I see that everybody seems to be biting the bullet and buying new headlamp units.

I simply cut off the protruding part with a Dremel and drilled a small hole in the center of the remaining adjuster and then, after freeing up to rotating part of the adjuster with some Zep Super Penetrant (better than any other pentrating oil I've ever tried) inserted a screw. The screw should be oversize for the hole; you don't want it screwing in freely, because you want it to stay in place rather than backing out if you need to turn the adjuster, using the screw, in a counterclockwise direction.

I can turn the adjuster now with a screwdriver in either direction.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 V40.
The headlight efficiency issue is common especially to S40/V40's.
The headlights can be adjusted up and down to some degree using the auto height adjustment control incorporated in the headlight switch on the dash.
This is provided to adjust the beam height when the vehicle is heavily loaded and riding down in the rear.

I myself also consider the headlights on Volvo's to be apalling for a high safety spec'd car and given their cost/build quality.
At speed on unlit roads one simply outdrives the headlights and even on full beam they are still not impressive. (Terrible especially on windy roads.)
My wifes little Daihatsu Sirion. 2005 has lights twice as effective as the Volvo.

Fitting higher lumen output bulbs has helped me to a modest degree but the only other alternative is to convert to HID's, which many forum members seem to have done at some expense reading from past forum posts and for most models of Volvo not just S40/V40's.